German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, its been awhile since I've been on the forum. I am still looking for the right puppy for me and I would like your help. I am looking for a black female German shepherd of European bloodline. I am looking to stay around in the $1000 price range. I'm looking for one in the next few months. This perfect puppy will be a lifelong companion to I and my family. It will be our home defense so to say. I am from the St. Louis Missouri area but I'm willing to drive within 10 hours any direction to get my companion please point me in the right direction as far as breeders or upcoming litters. Pm me or put it in this thread is fine. Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Black GSDs are beautiful. I don't know about any breeders. But is I were you, I would ask the OFA hip ratings of the parents and if the parentage was cleared for DM. You may also want to look into rescue for a young adult or adult black GSD. Good Luck!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have never met these people or had a dog from them, but you could contact Karen at Crooked Creek. They are in MO and her bloodlines will often produce solid black.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Narrowing it down!

OK I have narrowed it down to 3 different breeders to get my puppy.
1. Traumwolfen kennels in Nebraska.

2. Stoney creek kennel in Houston Missouri.

3. Windy hollow breeders in Illinois.

Now for a little background. I am looking for a black female puppy as a pet not a show dog.
Traumwolfen came highly recommended from anothermember on this board. Her puppies are $1500.

Stoney creek is also $1500 but only one parent on site, the stud dog belongs to someone else. What worries me me is there is no hip rating and I'm all about having a healthy dog with superior genetics.

Windy hollow breeders I don't know much about. They are the cheapest at $1000 but I'm not guaranteed that they will produce a black.

Please pm me with your thoughts as to which one you would go with. Or if you have any other breeders to suggest.

Thanks
Jeremy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nothing wrong with only 1 parent on site. That (hopefully) means that an appropriate match was selected for the female and not a convenient male that was on site (not saying that's always a bad thing either). Hip ratings are very important though.

I'm also looking, so I know how overwhelming it is, but I'm outside of your search area. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I always use outside males. This is pretty normal. The lack of hip ratings, though, is a problem. Did you ask the breeder about hips/elbows? Maybe they just don't have the information on their website.

I am not familiar with any of these breeders so can't help you otherwise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did ask the breeder about it. The female she owns and she is rated fair on the hips. The stud she really has no info about. She told me that it is not opa certified but has seen the xrays and rates it good. But how can I trust that. Unless I have the proof its just BS to me. Its too much of a gamble. If I'm paying $1500 for a dog I want certifications and records.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Well, of those 3 I'd definitely recommend the first. I don't know the other two personally, but based on the info on their websites (miss-match of pedigrees, no titles, spotty health clearances, etc...) I'd look elsewhere to find other breeders to add to your list of ones to investigate further.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am still looking for a black female pup. Will $1500 get me a decent dog? I just want a companion, not a show and ring dog. At the same time I don't.want the dog to be a coach potato. I have a active lifestyle and I am very much a outdoors person. Canoeing, hunting, fishing, hiking, and target shooting. I am interested in Czech bloodlines and DDR. Please pm me with more suggestions. I would prefer to drive to get this puppy but will ship for the right one. I am looking at June or around that time for pup take home. Thanks for everyone's advice on here.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Maybe the threads can be combined? Yes $1500 could get you a decent pup though may be up to around $2000, depending on the breeder. You are tightening up your criteria though, which may makes things harder

I think the majority of your blacks ARE going to be in the working lines though.

Female, Czech/DDR, Black, WL, around June -

Actually at that point any of the working lines could be fine. Was there a specific reason Czech / DDR? A lot of nice West German WL, dogs from Belgium, crosses of various working lines. What is it you are looking for that makes you specify Czech x DDR? Just curious. Not an issue with that interest - I have had WGWL, Czech-DDR, and CzechxWGWL - I think it is more the individual pup at that point.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/248410-narrowing-down.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if this is of use but kozies shepherds in mankato mn breeds dark pigmented dogs and a lot turn out black. His puppies are $1400 and ships. This is the place where I got my puppy and I am overly satisfied. Great guy to deal with and also is a complete training facility. Guy knows his stuff.
Not sure if there is a litter soon but the site is koziesshepherds.com
I got exactly what I wanted with a sable
1364556101293.jpg

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I looked and waited for my black female. First I found the right breeder (actually was between two). Looked for at least 6 months. The first breeder didnt think she would have what I was looking for. Very honest person, some members on here have pups from her. Gosh cant remember her kennel name now but in Sau st marie. I did settle on one in Oklahoma and had the pup shipped. That was 6 1/2 yrs ago. More than satisfied with my choice.

Just remembered as I hit enter, Winning ways.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Traumwolfen is Marsha Seck - mnm on this board

She has a Czech female who carries black recessive bred to Sean O'Kanes Max Stribenhe Kamahne (sp) - who also carries black recessive....dam is black and tan, so all three colors POSSIBLE....blk tan with black recessive, sable with ? blk or blk tan recessive...or all black

whether there is a black female won't be known until they are born..

Lee

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you ever thought about adopting a dog from a GSD rescue?

There are numerous advantages aside from the obvious. You don't have to go through all the puppy nights, you know what your dog will look like as an adult (trust me they change dramatically) and the foster parent can tell you MANY things about the dog that you may not discover about your puppy for several years.

After adopting our last GSD, I'll never do it any other way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Traumwolfen kennels would be a good choice. She has produced some nice dogs. having done business with her and meet Chita who stayed with me for a breeding. She does not own a Male and uses outside studs also. I dont know her plans for her next breeding but i wish you tons of luck in your search.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts