German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone said "it would get easier" but really does it? I still miss my old friend every second of every day :( I tend to get horrible "flashbacks" of her last hours...? Really do not like that!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't know about easier--but it does get further away, not quite as immediate. I would try to avoid "flashbacks", when you have one try to recall better times.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with not quite as immediate..I still miss mine especially my male and it's been 4 years,,kinda makes my heart ache when thinking about him:(

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Relief is not immediate. I still miss Pyrate after over a year. I look at his pictures and remember the good times we had. Try not to let the flashbacks get you. I still tear up some times when thinking of him but it does get better because at first it was every day, now just sometimes each week.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
cherish every minute you spent with your dog and hold them close to your heart.

Everyone said "it would get easier" but really does it? I still miss my old friend every second of every day :(

>>>>> I tend to get horrible "flashbacks" of her last hours...? Really do not like that!<<<<<

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
It doesn't get easier, but it tends to hurt less as time passes and you accept it and focus on the good stuff. Those flashbacks tend to happen less often as time passes...I still think of my girl after a year, and still cry, and I still get horrible flashbacks of her last hours as well. But I can definitely say they are not everyday like they used to be. It only happens every once in a while, and then I try and remember all the good memories. Just think of the good times you had with your companion, they wouldnt want you to be sad :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you...it's nice to know I am not the only one that is still upset- the flashback thing scares the life out of me I really can't wait for that to be over. Never knew my memory could be so horribly vivid :|

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I still get flashbacks of my boy Ike. He passed in October. I find myself tearing up nearly daily when I think of him.

You are not alone. I try to remember the good times, and it helps that my friends and coworkers will see something happen and say " hey remember when Ike" it makes it easier to know that he is missed and remembered by so many.

My biggest issue now is calling my new pup by the wrong name. Every time I do, the room stops, and I tear up. They are different dogs, but so very similar in some ways. But them I rember that he is with me in spirit all the time. The lessons I learned from him will make me a better more patient handler and trainer for my new boy. His legacy will live on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's true... I really went into owning my second dog with my eyes wide open expecting the teething stage and despite my best efforts sometimes a shoe will get gnawed on but everything can be replaced except the dog so I just laugh it off. I know my old dog would be devastated if she saw me so upset- it's amazing how in tune dogs can be with our emotion. Thank you for your kind words it's nice to know dog people understand.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It's been 2 years since my puppy died and my heart aches for him to this day. There will always be "the one" that will make your heart cry, and for me that was Odin. He was My dog.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Last Thursday was one year since we lost Daisy. I still tear up at the oddest tiomes. It gets better but some days are a l;ittle worse. I have to say talking about her helps me . We have so many Daisy stories that we could write a series. I have to believe she sent the girls to us cause we were stuck and her lil bro Lucky was really depressed . GSxOwner the memories of end are hard especially when they come out oif nowhere. I was lucky that we were able to let Daisy go rather peacefully even though it was quite unexpected. Do you have folks you can talk too about your friend? You could do a in memory thread or post a ledtter to your girl. You will get alot of support here and it helps. Take care.
Maggi

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's been a year and two months since I lost Hero and I still think about him every day.
I finally finished this creation in hopes to help my heart be at ease.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Everyone deals in thier own way and in thier own time. It was almost two yrs before we really moved on but really you never move on. They are always with you. Just try making good memmories far outweigh the bad ones.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It's been a year and two months since I lost Hero and I still think about him every day.
I finally finished this creation in hopes to help my heart be at ease.
The picture is beautiful. I still think of Pyrate every day and his picture is every where in my house. I still tear up when I read these threads and think of losing him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for your loss

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my 15 yr old lab/golden mix last year in Oct, i still bust out & sob sometimes. We had a very special connection, that was the first dog i ever had that ever really read me so well. I am disabled with severe pain & she w/o being taught, picked up things for me when i asked. I agree with everyone on here, it gets easier, does it go away? No, never. I too, keep playing her last moments, as like all things, it couldn't go easy. The vet had put down one of my other dogs once at home, & did a great job. But i had to take Spunky to him this time around & i don't know if it's cuz she was in the car or cuz she had been losing weight & her age (she was incontinent, couldn't get up well or not at all on her own at the end & i cleaned up after & cleaned her literally every day for a year because i didn't want to let her go, & i know that it was really only for me, she was having no kind of life.) Now i feel guilty for that....but anyhow, the vet had to jab her twice, the first one bled, she screamed & i lost it, then when he got it the 2nd time, when she should have been weakening, she pushed up with her front legs & to me, it was like 1 last attempt to NOT leave me. Oh god, i am crying as i write this. It's an image i can't get out of my mind, i miss her so much. So, to answer your question, it will get easier but you will have those awful sad moments & no matter how we try, sometimes the thing we don't want to remember will haunt us. I so want to believe they are somewhere waiting for us, it's the only way i can tolerate life at all. I am a huge animal lover, dogs are my favorite. I had GS dogs in my life growing up in my teen years, great dogs, the one died way too soon (7 yrs old) & he was the goofy, funny one. We all think of him often. We love them all but there are a few that always seem extra special or memorable. But when i get to see my old buddies again, i'm going to lay on the ground & let them lick me, jump on me & i'm going to sob with happy tears. Hang in there, friend....it will get easier. I don't know when you lost your beloved dog but time is irrevelant when it comes to missing them. Hold him in your heart, talk to him, that's what i do still with ones i lost years ago. I hope they are listening. Actually, i've had close brushes with death & this is just my opinion, but i want to believe that my dogs, my angels, are what saved me. (Now i do have an Angel, a pit/lab mix who is what is helping my heart heal but like someone else said, i sometimes call her by my old girl's name). I talk to her sometimes about missing Spunky but i try not to do that often, as i don't want her to be sad. You've got plenty of support here from me & lots of others....again, i am so very sorry for your loss.

·
Banned
599 Posts
It is so hard to lose a pet. I lost my beagle dog at the age of 17 years old almost a year ago. Every time I think of her I get sad. I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope you heal quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Everyone said "it would get easier" but really does it? I still miss my old friend every second of every day :( I tend to get horrible "flashbacks" of her last hours...? Really do not like that!
Still to this day I get the same thing over Ginger. It was the most horible thing when I had her PTS. In time it will get easier, but I can tell you, You will never forget your old friend.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
OMG, so many people go through this. I am so sorry for you. The forum's kind words have helped me very much and hopefully you too. For me it has been just a week. The grinding pain is under control and I can say his name without breaking down. But I cannot afford flash backs or see his grave.
I know it will get easier with time. My first dog died 30 some years ago but not a day goes by or I think of him and the others that passed.
Soon I will have a conversation with WD's breeder to discuss my option for the next GSD. Just the plan for a new dog, no matter how long the wait, helps a lot.
If there is such a thing as a rainbow bridge it will be a happy place to go to when the time comes.
Wishing you strength and healing.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
woke up from a lazy mid day nap today, for a minute or so i couldn't figure out why kyra wasnt on the floor next to me waiting for me to wake up, the i remembered she was pts over the christmas season.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow you guys are so kind. I hope all of you too feel better it really is horrible to lose your best friend. I have a 5 month old puppy and whenever she "misbehaves" I am just grateful for every minute I have with her even if it is me chasing her cause she stole my sock. Without her I would probably still be in bed too depressed.

I try to keep happy photos of my pepsi everywhere phone,desktop,wall,online and that has actually been comforting. A few weeks after I lost my peps I went and got a tattoo. It says "Love you forever" which were the last words I got to say to her.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts