German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm a newbie to this site and it's my first GSD so go easy! ;)

My GSD is 13 months old and I have always thought there was a problem with him. He arches his back like a cat and bunny hops so I assumed he had dysplasia. Anyway I've just had is scores back and he is 3:3 with points equal on either side of three of the tested areas. So in my limited experience I think this is pretty good.

Anyway, he is always very, very stiff when he gets to his feet. I haven't done anything about it because I was waiting on the hip scores but now I am really worried. Can a dog have arthritis if the hip score is excellent? He does run about mad and jump high :mad: but he is like an old man when he first moves. Dog sitters and other people have commented on how bad it seems.

Any advice?

He is on a good (expensive nutrional) diet and not overfed or overweight. He is also not over exercised, doesn't climb stairs, jump in and out of cars etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I would have his back x-rayed. Spinal problems are not uncommon in GSDs and can easily cause the symptoms you are seeing.

While yes a dog can develop arthritis in the hips even if the hips themselves are good, this is something that comes with the wear and tear of age and wouldn't be present in such a young dog. If it were, it would be apparent on the hip x-rays and also should have influenced the hip score.

Though I don't know what 3:3 means as far as hip scores (what country/rating system is this?) and whether or not that would be a good or bad rating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drat I should have got a full X-ray then to save the costs! :(

Thanks for the reply. The hip score is British and it is out of a total of 106 (or there abouts) points so 53 either side. It is a very good score for a GSD, his father's score was 9 and his mother's 6.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Are you using the British hip scoring system where 0:0 is the best and 53:53 is the worst?

To answer your question about arthritis, a dog can have arthritis and an excellent hip score. Arthritis is inflammation of a joint; not necessarily the hips. My dog has arthritis in his spine; doesn't effect his hips.

Either way I agree with Chris, you should get a series of X-rays from your vet, starting with the spine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts