German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how other people would feel about this, but I've been thinking that we could have a sticky in the Behaviour (sorry, BehaviOr for you South-of-the-border friends
), that would address problem barking issues.

It seems to me that there are regular new-comers to the board asking for advice on controling unwanted barking. Instead of always retyping the same information, we could direct them to the sticky. It could contain specific training techniques on how to teach the "quiet' command. I'll volunteer my expertise
, and others could share what specifics worked for them also.

The sticky could also explain how unwanted barking is not so much a behaviour issue as it is a leadership, training, and appropriate exercise issue. Again, specifics and examples could be offered by different people as to how strong leadership, consistent training, and regular exercise all contribute towards a confident dog that does not feel the need to bark at every leaf blowing by.

We could also link previous threads that discussed the above. But I think for this sticky to work, there would have to be enough people interested in contributing advice.

Just a suggestion, this may be overkill and not needed, so I'm open to comments.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Ok – I’ll be the one to say, I think it’s a bad idea. Of course, the decision is up to the moderators of that particular forum but IMO it’s unnecessary.

Here’s my reasoning. Many times there are different reasons for a dog's barking or a member feels their situation is different than what’s already been discussed. I would hate to discourage a member (new or old) from posting their question just because some of us feel it has already been discussed. In some cases there aren’t blanket answers for solving the problem. When someone comes here for advice on a behavior issue sometimes they need individualized help/advice.

If we’ve discussed it before and the thread was particularly helpful, we can ask the moderator of that area to archive the thread so we can refer/link to it in the future.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just waiting to see if anyone else wanted to jump into the discussion.

Vinnie, I agree with your point of view, and the same thoughts have crossed my mind, but as it is, I know that sometimes I don't give answers to some of the barking issues posted because I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the issues that I would need to address in order to deal with the barking issues posted.

My reasoning for a sticky is that barking issues are a host of interelated issues all centered around being the leader of your pack, whether it be one dog or ten. It is more like teaching a philosophy of raising a dog to be well socialized and confident, while defering barking decisions to the leader.

There are trust issues, the dog needs to trust you to be a strong leader and protector. There are training issues, training a "quiet" command. There are socialization issues; barking at everbody and everything is due to lack of proper socialization, where the dog perceives everything as a threat. There are exercise issues: a well exercised dog, physically and mentally, is not bored and entertaining himself with constant barking. There are dog-behaviour mis-conception issues: most people confuse fear-barking (a real problem)with protective behaviour (also a problem).
Most people feel that a dog that barks at everything is a good deterent, but don't understand why the dog won't quiet on command, etc.

Sometimes when someone posts, I see so many of the above issues that need to be addressed, I'd love to help, but just get tired thinking about writing it all out. (Yes, I admit it, my main motivation for this sticky is that I'm lazy!
). Then I feel bad because people aren't getting the help that they asked for.

I think that with a sticky, people will be able to identify the issues that apply to them and would be helpful in their particular situation, and if not, the sticky can still invite people to post their questions for more individualized help if they don't find what they need.

I know that for myself, I've often read stickies on forums, appreciated the collection of information in one place and then went ahead and posted questions for more specific in-depth help.

I do appreciate your point of view Vinnie. I've been on some forums where the instructions say: "Read ALL stickies, do not post questions about information about stickies as you are wasting people's time" (well, not so bluntely, but it was implied), and yes, that would be a bit discouraging to a new-comer or even an established members. But for our purposes, that is not the culture on this board, all questions are welcome, and the sticky could make a point of inviting specific questions for more in-depth help.

And sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts