German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with dogs and sticks? What's with dogs competing over one stick when there are a gabillion sticks on the ground??? These are life's most important questions (at least if you're a dog).

That is all... carry on people, carry on.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Don't know what it is unless it's the competition. You can give my dogs two of the exact same thing and they will fret over only one of them. I do not know why I buy two of everything when one is all they play with. :(

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Two dogs .two identical toys both want same one and only play w/ one.Murphy's rule of the dog,"Only one can be played w/."

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Oh my yes! A forest full of sticks and the one Niko has is the best, at least according to Rosa.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't know what it is unless it's the competition. You can give my dogs two of the exact same thing and they will fret over only one of them. I do not know why I buy two of everything when one is all they play with. :(
With my old roommate's pug and my boy the two dogs would each get a bully stick...chew on their respective stick for a few min then one would realize that the other had a toy and would go inspect it. This would lead to the other going to the stick that had been abandoned and a swap would occur. This may repeat for a few cycles but eventually the two boys would be going for the same one since apparently one always HAD to be better than the other....don't ask me how I never figured it out haha

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are predators, and competing for scarce resources is a predatory behavior (prey animals usually have an abundance of food and haven't developed this competition for resources trait).
Heh, that would make since other than the fact that there are literally hundreds of sticks on the ground at any given moment :p so they compete over an abundant resource and not over a scarce one (such as a ball -- which they both love, or a toy)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you ever seen a kid suddenly take interest in one of his old toys because someone else picked it up?
I always thought dogs were like that, they don't care about it until someone else wants it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts