German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old GSD is a all around great dog in all. But sometimes when we are outside with her, she tends to get really hyped up and playful. But sometimes when she gets scared or excited, I notice that she sticks up her hair on her back.
Is this normal???
Do dogs do this when they are scared or excited?????:confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yes, the hair sticking up is a sign of fear. Example, Niko sees a bunny rabbit and he gets very excited but his hair is not raised. Alternatively when he sees a strange dog coming at him, his hair will raise up.

I've also seen it happen when my two dogs are having an extreme play session and things start to get a little bit serious. They will generally take a break from each other and go sniff for a while until they both calm down, then it's back to play as normal.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Hackles coming up means that emotions are high. It is not always fear. Some dogs do it in the excitement of play. I have seen the hair raising more in dogs that are easily aroused.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ava's hackles go up all the time when she is overly excited....(when I get home from work, when it's time to eat, when she's playing to rowdy). They go up when she's afraid to.

I guess it's safe to say Ava's hackles are always up!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 6 month old's hackles go up when he's working with the flirt pole. I know he's not scared, just excited. I think it just depends on the dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts