German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon all,
I am working on a new treat variety. I have stopped using wheat and/or corn so I have adapted a few of the old recipes. I was thinking that chicken liver might be a good thing to use as I have been saving some frozen ones for cooking and have a large surplus.

I went through an odd French chicken liver phase and still have plenty of them.

any time I use meat in treats I stew the meat in salted water for a while then shred and/or mince it fine.

Is chicken liver ok for dogs? In moderation (most treats are training only I have a very low fat general non training use treat)?
thanks,
-c

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
yes. mine eat chicken liver regularly.

moderation will be the watchword. Too much organ meat in a sitting can cause runny poops.

probably no reason to salt them, or cook in salted water. Dogs don't need the sodium, and they'll be plenty tasty without.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I get chicken livers from my local grocer at 75 cents a pound.Don't stew them but sread them out on foil covered pan and cook at low 200 degree temp about an hour .they dry out and make great addition to meals and also training treats.Jake will NOT leave kitchen when livers cooking! He KNOWS it is for him.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the useful info folks. I will try the slow roasted chicken livers as a meal addition. Any time i make liver treats Midnight only gets them in small amounts and only during training and/or outings where he is needed to be on his best behavior. I mostly use the salt in the water to speed up toe boiling and help the meat to be stewed release more of its fat/liquids while stewing. once agian thanks for the usefull info.
-c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts