German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whether anyone has followed the story of "disabled Iraq veteran" Steven Woods who was being "unjustly pursued" by the city of Fort Worth, TX because his dog, Mimi, allegedly bit someone, but there was recently an update to the case -

Army denies Fort Worth man was injured in Iraq | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News

There has been a startling revelation in a widely-reported story. Steven Woods claimed to be a disabled veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. His story pulled on heart strings, with the community raising thousands of dollars for what he said was an assistance dog.

But Army officials now tell News 8 that Woods was never in Iraq.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Yes, a friend of mine in Texas sent it to me. At the most it would appear that he was in the National Guard at some point. He does have Mimi back - for now - but it's going to cost him $500 a year to register her, so he could lose her anyway if he can't pay the fee. As far as I know the money raised has/will be returned to any donor who requests it. Lying about something like serving in Iraq is pretty stupid - nowadays it's so easy to check it.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Ble BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That takes a lot of balls to lie about something like that. I'm not a Pit fan so i'll keep my thoughts on that side of the subject to myself ;)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Fraudulent fundraising is pretty low. If he were charged with fraud it is too bad he couldn't be sent to Gitmo.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know the money raised has/will be returned to any donor who requests it.
The donations that came in were made to Metroplex Animal Coalition, so they did not go directly into the pockets of Steven Woods (thank goodness). However, they are NOT automatically returning the donations, you have to ask for it to be returned to you. Here's what their website says -

Below is a statement from Randall Turner, the attorney for Steven Woods:

“Steven Woods is profoundly grateful to Metroplex Animal Coalition and to all of the generous donors who saved his beloved dog, Mimi, from being euthanized. Unfortunately, Steven has recently been the subject of negative media reports concerning his military service. In an effort to avoid any question of impropriety Steven has asked me to return to MAC all of the money that was raised for him. He requests that these funds be returned to the donors.”

If you made a donation to save Mimi and would like to have it refunded, please contact us at (email). If you do not request your donation back, it will be placed in a Trust Accounto be used strictly and solely to provide for Mimi’s care in the future. Mimi will still need to be registered at $500 per year to keep her from being euthanized by the City of Fort Worth. Therefore, that need for her still exists, and your donation
for that is still tax deductible.
The attorney, Randy Turner, has severed ties with Woods last Tuesday, since Woods lied. Turner was handling his case pro-bono, believing he was helping a disabled war veteran.

I'm disappointed at the Metroplex Animal Coalition's stance. I think none of the money should go to Mimi's care at all - if people don't want to have it returned to them, it should go to MAC to benefit their spay/neuter program or other programs that help animals.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I'm disappointed at the Metroplex Animal Coalition's stance. I think none of the money should go to Mimi's care at all - if people don't want to have it returned to them, it should go to MAC to benefit their spay/neuter program or other programs that help animals.
Why the disappointment? Though "everyone loves a solder" it's more likely that the donations came in from Pitbull charities and organizations who help raise awareness of the breed and dispel myths of "ferocious killers with locking jaws" or other nonsense. More so, I find it totally reasonable that donations came in due to such orginzations being strongly against breed specific legislation. Unless the donators were made public (I doubt it) then we simply will never know. So obviously this is speculation on my part. Never the less- I think it makes sense that the moneys go to help Mimi, and in some way or another- fight BSL.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am disappointed by the overall statement on their website.

The statement makes it sound like the accusations that Woods has never been injured in Iraq are false, but that, out of the goodness of his heart, he has decided to return the donations people make so folks don't get the wrong impression.

This is not true. Woods' statements were a lie and he has to return the money lest he wants to be sued by everyone who donated.

They also still make it sound like the dog was falsely declared dangerous (their whole statement is on the website, I did not post all of it) when, in fact, Woods has gotten a number of citations for his dogs (plural, not just the one) running loose, attacking one other person, and attacking police officers who wound up pepper-spraying the dogs when they came at them. He's even gotten into an argument with a neighbor who complained to him after his dogs were going after neighborhood kids aggressively. Oh, and he lied to police and said he'd sold the dogs, including Mimi, to someone in Arkansas before this latest incident that had her impounded.

IMHO any reputable Pit Bull organization would not be giving money to someone who is clearly not a responsible owner if he lets his dogs run loose and attack people (several attacks on record). He's also breeding pitties - there's a picture of him holding puppies on his Facebook. Not exactly what any reputable Pit Bull / BSL organization would support, I'm sure.

I'm all for the money going to help fight BSL, and that would be a great way of using the money for MAC. I don't think it should go to help pay Mimi's fines - IMHO the only person to blame for even getting those fines and putting his dogs into this position is Woods, he should pick up the tab.

I would feel very differently about this if this were a dog that has NEVER had any kind of bite before the bite that got her impounded, and that has never been left to run loose and be cited for that, too. But that is not the case here. The case here is that of an irresponsible owner who, on top of that, lied about being a disabled veteran to sucker other people out of money to pay his fines.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
They also still make it sound like the dog was falsely declared dangerous (their whole statement is on the website, I did not post all of it) when, in fact, Woods has gotten a number of citations for his dogs (plural, not just the one) running loose, attacking one other person, and attacking police officers who wound up pepper-spraying the dogs when they came at them. He's even gotten into an argument with a neighbor who complained to him after his dogs were going after neighborhood kids aggressively. Oh, and he lied to police and said he'd sold the dogs, including Mimi, to someone in Arkansas before this latest incident that had her impounded.

IMHO any reputable Pit Bull organization would not be giving money to someone who is clearly not a responsible owner if he lets his dogs run loose and attack people (several attacks on record).
Agree. Agree. Agree. I admittedly didn't read the whole story. I highly doubt any reputable pitte org would support such poor ownership. In fact, this is almost ALWAYS the very thing they stand against. Thanks for the explanation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts