German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog Can't Get No Relief - Die Die Diarrhea!

We adopted a white shepherd-mix from a shelter about a month and a half ago. Since then, he's barely had a normal stool. It's been nearly a constant flush of diarrhea, and we're looking for advice because a.) the vet's not been much help, and b.) we're new to canine husbandry and haven't a clue.

We took the poor bugger to the vet shortly after adoption. He was diagnosed with hook & whipworm, as well as a sinus infection. They hit him with heavy-duty anti-worm meds, antibiotics for the nose, and we rounded him off with Trifexa or whatever it is for fleas and worms.

Within a week, his guts were nuked of all hostile life. Two follow-up visits confirmed an absence of worms. But still, he keeps "running at the seams" at potty time.

On the vet's advice (1st visit) we've been feeding him boiled chicken mixed with a bit of white rice - about a 2 or 3-to-1 ratio. A couple weeks ago we re-introduced a portion of kibble (pre-wetted) - "Authority" brand, which seems to be mostly non-grain in composition. He seems to go through periods of firming up, in which the first poop or two are solid enough to hold shape when picked up, and everything that follows in that session is slop. But these periods are followed by ones in which his business is pretty much a liquid mess. Blood sometimes appears. (Again, vet checked, no worms; speculated that a brood of existing worm eggs might have hatched and was being poisoned-off by the Trifexa.)

RECENTLY the situation has become more pronounced. He's going from a poop-once-per-day schedule to multiple droppings, and even being in distress with need. (Oh god! OH GOD! LET ME OUT! NOW NOW NOW!!!)

He's also started dropping on the hallway carpet (#$*&%^!!) without giving any advance warning or even trying to get out or ask to be let out. He seems perfectly fine, then slinks off. You come by later, turn the corner, and ... WHOA HOLY JEEZ! Dang it, Dog! Hon, get the steam cleaner; I'll get the bags.

This business of hitting the carpet is very strange. He came from the shelter pretty well-trained. He typically only poops in the backyard and will go to extreme lengths to hold his business for the backyard. He's dropped maybe two poops on walks with us - ever - so this targeting of the carpet makes it all the more unusual. Normally, we take him out for a round in the back every few hours or so, or if he gives signs of needing some time outside. Last couple days? There have been times when we've needed to run him out every hour it seems. Woke us up in the middle of the night last night, scratching at his door. Let him out and he dashed to the backyard & proceeded to hit that dirt for 45 minutes of ****.

Three hours later, he pooped slop again.

Two hours later, he dropped more liquid baggage, but this time in the hallway with zero warning.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Every morning and night we pass the sidewalk in front of our house during our daily walks. Every day there are a dozen or so droppings left by discourteous owners in the neighborhood. They are firm and consistent to the last plug. Never would I have thought myself envious of such a thing. One bag, one sweep, one happy dog. What is wrong with this poor creature? (And how do we redirect his attentions away from the hall back to the outside where his business belongs?)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Few different things I will address here based on my personal experience with a rescue dog from the shelter and some of the very same issues.

1. Go to any online pet pharmacy and order yourself a bottle of Vetasyl. Have it rushed to get to you. This is going to make his poop solid in as little as one day. I started Diesel on 2 capsules in the morning and one at night until I got his poop solid then backed off to just the morning and now I am down to 1 in the morning and thats it. Its 100% natural so there are no side effects.

2. I assume they have tested him for Guardia? If not get the fecal swipe done as this could be the core of the issue.

3. Go buy a big container of plain yogurt. You have probably killed all the good bacteria in his gut with the treatments given. Start putting it on his food at least once if not 2x's a day to promote the good bacteria to start growing back.

4. The going in the house. The first month your dog was in shock. He is now adjusting and you are going to see behaviors you did not before. This is common. Do not let him run free in the house now, tether him to you so he does not have the opportunity to do his business where you dont want him to. If you are lying around in the living room tie him to the couch or what ever so he cannot get out of sight. When you are not home put him in a crate. This is a phase that is aggravated by diarrhea and it WILL pass! Treat and have a party every time he goes outside where you want him to. Try taking him to the same exact spot all the time. Dogs are creatures of habit once he has his poop spot he will use it!

5. Some people swear by chicken, I on the other hand will not feed my dogs any type of fowl for the staple in their diet. Occasionally they will get a piece of raw chicken (as I rotate fish, pork, beef, venison) but no more than once a week IF that. Chicken gives my dogs the runs, gas, and they just dont do well on it. I prefer a beef / venison / bison GRAIN FREE kibble as well. I feed raw with my kibble and chicken is just the worse! It cant just say it on the front you have to read the ingredients... Rice, barley, and any other grain by-product are GRAIN. The grains should be replaced with some sort of other source of carbs (sweet potatoes etc)

Thank you for rescuing! Keep us posted and get some Vetasyl!! :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry for your troubles, but your post is so funny how it's written!

Has your vet ruled out giardia and coccidia? I had a rather hellish time with giardia. It's hard to get rid of and believe me I tried!

I swear to you, changing to raw fixed the problem within 24 hours. And this was after about 6 months of chronic diarrhea, I was at my wits end. No joke. I was really reluctant to try it, but now I can't believe I waited so long.

It might be something to think about. They have prepackaged raw, which is more expensive than doing it yourself, but you don't have to worry about bones and balancing the diet. I still supplement with things like turkey necks and chicken backs so she has some bones to work on to keep her teeth clean.

Anyway, something to consider.

All kibble needs starches in order to bind it, it's just the nature of kibble, even the best of them. I think my dog had a sensitivity to something in the food, but it was hard to determine what it was. With raw, they just get the nutrition they need, no extras, so it's much easier to keep the diet a more limited ingredient type of diet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Dog Can't Get No Relief - Die Die Diarrhea!
Within a week, his guts were nuked of all hostile life.
Here's part of your problem. The antibiotics have nuked all the good, necessary bacteria in his gut. The parasite meds may have irritated the lining of his intestine accounting for the blood, or just passing so much runny stool has done it. Your vet needs to advise you whether further parasite meds are needed by doing repeat fecal testing. As Blackshep said, giardia and coccidia need to be ruled out. Your vet can sell you prescription canned dog food that is easy on irritated GI tracts. As a home remedy you can feed cooked hamburger, well-drained, along with equal amounts of well-cooked rice, no kibble until he is showing some improvement. Add a couple of tablespoons of plain pumpkin (not the pie filling) to each meal. Go to a health food store and ask them to recommend a high quality human probiotic and give according to directions. Yogurt contains beneficial bacteria but not in the quantity needed for such an upset tummy.
My guy just spent 2 weeks on cephalexin and we had to spend another two weeks doing just as above to get his tummy back to normal. As your boy's gut begins to heal and function he may have less urgency and accidents inside. Certainly do keep him in sight at all times when not crated as Diesel and Lace mentioned. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success!

It seems we have managed to plug the doggie dike with an (unexpectedly) appealing mix of ground beef, white rice, plain yogurt, and sweet potato - a Thanksgiving version of "Shepherd's Pie," as it were. Nevertheless, it seems to have returned him to a healthy consistency, as measured by the vaunted Baggie Index - one bag for every session, as opposed to seven or eight followed by a hose and a dose of bleach.

We passed on the Vetasyl, only because we wanted to limit the number of possible variables. On the vet's advice, we'd been stuffing him with about a cup of boiled chicken and a quarter cup of white rice. Hearing all those stories about bloat and grain issues, and, well, knowing what a strong dose of fiber can do to any digestive system, it seemed that going "au naturelle" in the food department was the best course of action. We were surprised that most of the advice was in the other direction - to load up on fiber, not decrease it. We figured it was either crazy enough to work or he would be setting some kind of a new world record. (Good luck with your measurements, Guiness!)

Anyway, we moved him to a 50-50 mix of chicken to rice and added a few tablespoons of yogurt and sweet potato for "extra effect". His business definitely improved, but much room was left for improvement. For round two, we substituted a tube of boiled ground beef for the chicken. The turnaround was rapid. Maybe it was dropping the chicken for the beef, or maybe he just needed that time and the switch to cattle was merely coincidental. Either way, we're thrilled, and so's the dog.

We've also taken to rewarding his daily ventures in the back yard with a snippet of milk bone for each appropriately-selected drop. This he appreciates the most - enough that he can barely wait to finish before bounding over for his treats. Good Boy! Good !... Oooooh; too soon! too soon. Yes, thank you very much, but we must change the order of this, yes? "We" wash before shaking hands and making your food. The least you could ... eh, what do you care? Besides, these are old shoes. I don't bring them in the house anyway. Not now for sure.

Last question? Who are Nguyen, Amelia, Jenny, and "Boosaba" (?) from Vietnam, and why do they all wish to speak with me about their measurements in the metric system? This seems to be a very strange chat feature for a board on dogs, but perhaps I am misinterpreting? And should I think more or less highly of Ms. Nguyen's 42 kilograms over Amelia's 48? I would think any shepherd over 40 kg is substantial!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
you might want to do a blood panel and rule out EPI

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I think I'd still be inclined give him regular supplementation with digestive enzymes (Prozyme) and probiotics. His gut is his body's weak area, so I think regular supportive supplements for the foreseeable future would likely help him-- with whatever natural food works for him.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Could he be allergic to chicken? Sounds like switching to beef has helped. Also watch the treats & rawhides. Remy had months if diarrhea & we basically had to eliminate almost everything extra. There are some small treats he tolerates but no milk bones or rawhides. Deer antlers are great for that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts