German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
I'm curious how stem cells will help rebuild bone. I've always been skeptical about it. It will help rebuild soft tissue that has degenerated because the bones aren't formed correctly, but how will it help the bone itself which is the problem?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just posted a long topic on this. And then this came up. My understanding is that it will not break down the bone if it was formed that way during growth, or a deformity.

The majority of the success is with arthritic issues -- I am not an expert by any means, we are new to the process, but if the dysplasia is from a deformity in the bone growth, it will not "fix" that, but can break down the arthritic tissue that forms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I am new here and found this site because of just finding out my 8yr old female german shepherd has hip dysplasia and arthritis in her right hip. As everyone here knows our dogs are our family. I have researched and researched treatment in the last several weeks. My old roommate is a Vet supply sales mgr and I have bugged the S__t out of him in helping me. From just giving her meds to laser treatment, operating and finally stem cell. A neighbors husband is a Vet and he does stem cell and laser, after he saw her x rays he said she was a perfect fit for stem cell. I asked should I just wait and medicate and he advised NO the arthritis will worsen and the earlier treatment the better to stop it. Told me the success rate was huge and the treatment had been a huge success in his office. Anyway will be going in the next few weeks to have Sasha treated, both hips.

Kind Regards
Mark

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
Mark - What exactly will stem cell therapy do? Rebuild the lost cartilage? How does it affect the arthritis that has already caused bony ridges to form?

Laser therapy is awesome! Jax has had to have it twice for injuries.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Im annoyed that dogs get better healthcare than me. Where are the tests for bad knees and hips? I dont think you ever get those until you have a severe problem, dogs get it preliminarily so they can be cared for better. I can imagine its bad for some strong lunged/weak kneed teens to be in track and field and they wont know it until they have damage. And now dogs get stem cell therapy- Im jealous. I can tell im in for alot of trouble in the future, bad ankles, knees, hips, the horse dragging me and breaking my femur didnt help me either.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Im annoyed that dogs get better healthcare than me. Where are the tests for bad knees and hips? I dont think you ever get those until you have a severe problem, dogs get it preliminarily so they can be cared for better. I can imagine its bad for some strong lunged/weak kneed teens to be in track and field and they wont know it until they have damage. And now dogs get stem cell therapy- Im jealous. I can tell im in for alot of trouble in the future, bad ankles, knees, hips, the horse dragging me and breaking my femur didnt help me either.

Glucosamine/chondroitin/msm, Ester-C, Fish Oil, Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM)...

All are human supplements that work great in dogs...and a lot of people take them too! Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JAX, I am brand new to this but it is suppossed to regenerate the good cells to fight the arthritis and I apologize if I misspeak and welcome any correction. But to summarize its suppossed to help rebuild those cells that are gone that fight the arthritis. I will try to get the answers on my next visit. My old roommate is with one of the largest Vet supply company,s and been there for over 35 yrs. He has been a big help, then stumbling on my neighbor who trains horses and her husband who is a Vet has been a welcome resource. My neighbor that I am referring to is from a 2nd lake home. To clarify the "stumbling on" It was rather ironic about hearing about the stem cell, then reading all I could, then the next day a big report on it on AOL and its success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JAX, I was really fixing to go the Laser route. I found a Erchonia low level laser that was reposessed I was going to buy and do it all myself, got great info from docs and others and them knowing I wasn't going to buy there equipment. BUT my last contact explained alittle better that my 3500. laser wasnt nowhere as effective as the 18k that he said I really needed so at the same time I found out about the stem cell and its cost so thats my next course of action. This Vet told me to go to medvetamerica and read up on the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts