German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is an update on Stella now 12 weeks old. We went to our first puppy class yesterday only to find out that there is the same puppy we already knew:)
I must say that our first experience with puppy school was rather a disappointing one to say the least. The trainer didn’t introduce herself at all, or it might be that she just thought we could have guessed her name, Mandy a 16 week old GSD , the trainers dog a shep mix 9 years old and good old Stella; we went to a small place with poor fencing.
There they were allowed off the leash to run and play which went on for about 30 minutes, meanwhile there was not much communication from the trainer towards us:confused:
What I have been told is that the dog needs to walk on the left side, did asked about that point which I still wait for an answer, after the 30 minutes the dogs had to be on the leach again and were told how to sit and lay down, that all lasted 3 minutes one sit one lay down and then off the leach again.
Oh well I thought that is a Saturday afternoon well spend, after that little pointless exercise, dogs were allowed to play again, by that time Stella wanted to lay down and catch her breath, if it wouldn’t have been for Mandy which was still ready to play and play.
Still nothing from the trainer, I thought well could have had Mandy over to our garden they could have played and we could have had coffee :laugh:

After that the trainer decided that it would be time to let the dogs run through a tunnel, well Mandy was going no problems at all, but Stella thought what the **** do I need to go through that thing, tiered, played enough just want to go home, I understood completely, after crunching the tunnel up that it appeared just to be a ring she went through and I was proud lol
Then it was time to go, all in all it took 1h and 15 minutes no info from the trainer what the point is or how we go on what she will do, learn etc, all what she announced in the car park is that she had now 2 puppies, well little does she know that Stella won’t be returning and neither will Mandy.

All is not lost there is another puppy school to try out for her, she is very social, loves all people and has no problems with other dogs that’s for sure, just a pity that there are trainers like that one, but we have enough time to find a perfect fit, that’s it for now from Stella and me

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Sorry your puppy class didn't work out, but good for you in trying to find another one. It is important for puppies to socialize as much as possible with other people and dogs so be sure to get out there as much as you can.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I wouldn't say it was a waste of time- our puppy class consisted of about 5 mins on leash then play time while the trainer talked to us. Then we called our dogs, put them back on a leash for another 5 mins or so. The puppies have extremely short attention spans and socialization is very important. Maybe you'll have more instruction from the trainer next week, I'd keep going. It isn't necessary for the dog to heel to the left side but it is generally the standard. I've taught mine to heel to either side.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think you might be expecting too much from a puppy
class and a 12 week old puppy. Puppies that age have
attention spans measured in microseconds. Most of
the class is going to be play with very short periods
of simple training. The whole point is socialization.

I took Abby to her first classes when she was 5 months
old. It was a mixed class with both younger and older
dogs. We had a very tough time the first couple of weeks
but about mid way through she seemed to "get it".

In retrospect we would have done better training wise
to wait until she was a bit older. But it was still great
socialization and a great bonding experience for us.
She did learn a few things (as did I).

·
Super Moderator
32,427 Posts
Sounds like a socialization opportunity, but not much else. This is the puppy class I've taken with Dena, Keefer, and Halo - it's for puppies who are from 10 to 18 weeks old at the start of class: Sirius Dog Training - Class Descriptions

Here's a lot of information if you want to start training at home either instead of puppy class (if you can't find a better one), or in addition to puppy class: Digital Dog Training Textbook | Dog Star Daily

This was the textbook for our classes, you can read it online and follow the exercises on your own: http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER You Get Your Puppy.pdf

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome thanks for the input, and no I don't give up and I don't think it was a waste of time, it was just funny. Of course for her 12 weeks I just want her to be happy and not much else, and boy I can tell you all she was happy, it was the first night I heard noices when she dreamed, I guess she relived the fun 1h she had, because when we got home she was out like a light.
Anyhow trying out the other school tomorrow and still training her to sit and come etc at home, I just love it when she meets other dogs...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy to report that we have found a new school, which made all the difference, the guy told us what the program is, what to expect from week to week. There were lots of other pup's and we all had a great time, except Stella looked like a mud pile and had to endure a bath :) ah we all have to suffer from time to time, anyhow we are looking forward to our next class and so far we have learned to sit and to come, it's a great start

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Sounds like you found a good match. When the pup is tired and sleeps on the way home you know it had a good time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts