German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset. Earlier this evening I had the grandkids over swimming. When Stella (1 yr old gsd) is in the pool area her electric collar has to come off cause she does like to splash in the water. When we open the gate to let her out the collar goes back on. Today after putting the collar on, out she went with my other dog. A few minutes later my husband comes down and asks "Where's Stella?: He saw a gsd running down the road that looked like her! I told him to watch the kids in the pool and I flew to my car. Probably set a new speed record down my cul de sac. And there she was at the end of the street. I have no idea what made her run through the e fence and down the street....Now I am not going to be able to let her out of my sight. She was doing so well with it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't think an e-fence is a first line of containment for a large, fast dog. Shasta can blow through the electronic field in a fraction of a second at full speed. I doubt she even feels it when she's focused on something else. We don't even use the collar with her anymore. We just supervise her when she's outside.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Some dogs never go thru it, others do. Both mine will and have bolted through. They will take the hit if they are chasing an animal like a turkey or squirrel. The house Im at now has a fenced in backyard, and underground fence in the small front yard. They are only allowed in the front if I am out with them. The last house I lived at was not fenced at all, set back in the woods. You could NOT get them to go past the boundary line if you tried, but as soon as a turkey was on the property, they would go through it, so they were only outside if they were supervised, otherwise the would be out in the chain link kennel run if I had stuff to do and couldn't watch them.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
and that is why I would never own one. I know Jax would go through it. Ive' seen her shoot thru a fence with the strands hitting her back and belly and she didn't blink. Those high drive dogs....:wub:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
None of mine has breached it,

Is it the Invisable Fence brand?

If so, call the person who installed it and have them "up " the field.

I know I've spent considerable time training my dogs to it. So far, three have been reliably trained.

The breeds I think of breaching it are not intelligent breeds like our breed.

I know it could happen and then there is the problem that they will not want to cross it again to return.

Start over with your training and do so on a very long lead with tempting distractions ( but never call/command your dog to cross it).

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I personally believe that the *opposite* is true, haha! Once they've learned that there are essentially no consequences for the action they're not stupid; they'll take the opportunity whenever it suits them. The only dogs I've ever known that were reliably wireless fence trained were beagles and a great dane.
I've never been trusting of wireless fences; maybe it's time to look into some hard fence options for your property?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Properly installed, the consequences are considerable. Try strapping the collar to your arm, ( I have because I don't like to expose dogs to something I do not understand).

Every dog reacts differently to levels of electrical stimuli.

If you've trained with an ecollar, you know what I mean.

Jack would take a considerably higher level than Sofie, but either would avoid the stim rather than choose to test it.

So, from what I've experienced, an intelligent dog learns that the "buzz" they should experience a good 3 to 5 feet perameter from the stim of the fence, should send them back into their 'yard.'

My dogs never need to feel stimuli from ecollar once they, and I literally mean once, they felt the stim they react to. And on an ecollar, I'm talking the lowest stim they react to ( obviously individually calibrated).

My fence is calibrated for stronger dog.

They never get stimmed or run through once they associate the buzz they hear when approaching the 5 foot pentameter allowed before the electric stim of the fence and stop there.

I've had the fence severed by one thing or another and seen my dog's stop at the same point even without a warning because they've learned their boundaries.

Would I leave the out and leave the house, no. But then I don't leave them out alone within a physical fence.

I've never had anything than a professionally installed Invisable Fence.

I have witnessed beagles and basslets going through.

Just my personal experience with three different GSDs in three different locations.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My older dog, a non GSD also went through one. I would not considered her stupid at all. She is in a sense much wiser then both my other dogs. Her fur around her neck was just too thick and I don't think that she got the full effect because of that.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes the fence is working. It is on medium shock so i guess we will up it to high.... i really just don't know why she went through it. Today i have been on top of her when she is out front. She acted normal, made no attempts to go through, even when a neighbor she knows and likes came strolling by my yard...and even when I walked over the boundary to talk to that neighbor she stayed in. My dh was thinking maybe she needed to go potty. She usually goes in the yard but lately I have been taking her for walks. I just don't think she would go through it for that. She must've seen something is my guess. I guess other than keep an eye on her constantly when outside, I might have to retrain. But she does know the boundaries so not sure if retraining will really accomplish anything. And I will need to really work on recall....
She isn't left out alone with just the fence. But the area does go all around the house so she can be in the front while I am in the back or side or whatever. I was outside when she got through, but didn't see it happen. A "real" fence is not an option. I don't think my neighborhood allows them.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Dalmatians went through it because they learned that if they ran through it fast enough, the hit wasn't so bad and they got a tasty treat of a squirrel, rabbit, or turkey butt. They didn't run up to the line, wait to hear the beep and then walk through. They were smart enough to know it isn't so bad when you're running at full tilt. And at the end of it all they got the reward, the chase and the animal they were chasing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
yes the fence is working. It is on medium shock so i guess we will up it to high.... i really just don't know why she went through it. Today i have been on top of her when she is out front. She acted normal, made no attempts to go through, even when a neighbor she knows and likes came strolling by my yard...and even when I walked over the boundary to talk to that neighbor she stayed in. My dh was thinking maybe she needed to go potty. She usually goes in the yard but lately I have been taking her for walks. I just don't think she would go through it for that. She must've seen something is my guess. I guess other than keep an eye on her constantly when outside, I might have to retrain. But she does know the boundaries so not sure if retraining will really accomplish anything. And I will need to really work on recall....
She isn't left out alone with just the fence. But the area does go all around the house so she can be in the front while I am in the back or side or whatever. I was outside whee option. I don't think my neighborhood allows them.
Does your system have the option of different collars. We have the Pet Safe brand, and use the stubborn dog collar. It is very large and takes a nine volt battery. It works for us.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
make sure you 'seat' the collar.

should be snug and move it up and down to make sure it can contact skin.

If you have a dog with a long or dense coat, "Invisible Fence" makes contact prongs that are longer than normal.

It's just a tool, like any other.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
A dog with high enough drive will blow through a ton of momentary pain. Many dogs in high drive won't even notice the shock. I know of a very well respected breeder on this board who had a puppy buyer lose the dog (killed) because it blew the fence running down deer. Some dogs are stoic enough that the pain is laughable, even at max, if the reward is great enough.

If you have a pool, don't you have to have the area fenced by law? Can't you extend the physical fence a greater distance?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. Pool has chain link fence around it....with large trees along the fence. It isn't really feasible to expand the area. I will just have to be out there with her at all times. It is just frustrating because I really don't know what made her run through it. This is a good motivation for working on a great recall....

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
"A dog with high enough drive will blow through a ton of momentary pain. Many dogs in high drive won't even notice the shock. I know of a very well respected breeder on this board who had a puppy buyer lose the dog (killed) because it blew the fence running down deer. Some dogs are stoic enough that the pain is laughable, even at max, if the reward is great enough. "

I totally agree.

That's why they have to be conditioned before they are tempted.

Much less likely if properly trained and conditioned.

That said, one should never think never when dealing with a living breathing creature.

Example, will an injured or terrified dog bite a loving hand? Maybe.

Will an intact male climb a fence to get to a bitch in heat?

Nothing is certain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts