German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We love to take our GSD with us where ever we go. He is usually quite calm at home (will bark if door bell rings, or become alert when people come to the door), but has a hard time settling in hotel rooms. He will hear a door shut or a voice in the hall way and start doing one of those short clipped woofs. Sometimes that's it, but sometimes it breaks out into full on barking. Then again, sometimes he doesn't even make a peep.

Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with this? I know he is in a strange place, with strange sounds and smells, and it must be confusing. He does better when the TV is on and there is activity, but once the lights and TV go off it is minutes before the barking starts.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
My female is impossible. Sometimes she has to sleep in the car. The other dogs are okay with hotel noises.

Come to think of it. It sure was handy having a dog bark when some stupid kids were playing in the hall. That got rid of them quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have never crated him so that's not really an option. He often ends up sleeping in the van, which is fine by him, just makes me sad.

·
2,967 Posts
We use crates- dogs are always quiet in the crates. And we never leave our dog unsupervised in the hotel room. If they do bark when they are out in the room, they never get out more than one before we "enough" them.

I know other people who use bark collars. It doesn't take long for a dog to learn the bark collar and then you just put it on when you need it.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I ALWAYS make 'white noise' in the room which is a huge help. Just turning the fan for the AC/Heater usually works well.

Immediately getting up and quieting my girl (just getting a treat and having a quick sit/treat) does the trick.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What my husband and I plan on doing is using the KOA Kamping Kabin's. Most places are pet friends, however KOA's are not always available everywhere....plus the price is about half of a normal hotel room. The Kabins are nice because they are secluded, quiet, and more like a "home" than a room. Might be another option.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Mine love to romp in the rooms. When it is time to settle down, i put a soft crate up right next to my bed. I can shush any barking easily that way.

I often sleep with the TV on and that helps with extra sounds, at least until I awaken and turn it off.

Some dogs have a low threshold to the barking at noises. The one I had like that. She got better with hotel experience. But, we travelled alot.

A bark collar could work also as mentioned.

·
Registered
594 Posts
"What my husband and I plan on doing is using the KOA Kamping Kabin's. Most places are pet friends, however KOA's are not always available everywhere....plus the price is about half of a normal hotel room. The Kabins are nice because they are secluded, quiet, and more like a "home" than a room. Might be another option."
We stay at KOAs on a regular basis, but be sure to check the campground policy. We stopped in one where the owner took one look at Shiloh, our GSD, and said "No Pit Bulls or Shepherds allowed" -- and he was serious. Most KOAs have policies against dogs inside the Kabins, how strenuously they enforce the rule is a crap shoot. I always have a crate on the porch just in case anyone wonders where the dog went...<grin> she is inside with us, of course!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats part of my research for our trip, is I check the KOA pet policy. If pets arent allowed, then we dont generally plan on staying there. Most KOA's in the midwest and the NW are pet friendly, and I've only found a few where I havent been able to have pets in the kabins.

·
Registered
16,065 Posts
I use a combo of the white noise techniques mentioned - I try to travel with a white noise clock and if I don't have that the TV works pretty well. Both mask the noise of closing doors, flushing toilets and running showers as well as other people's TVs and voices. It probably just muffles it for the dogs but it hides it for me so I am not awakened when my neighbors choose to get up 0r come in...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Get a crate, get him used to it at home and then travel with it. In the motel room, set up the crate, put him in it for the night, cover the front if needed and get a good nights sleep.
I travel to dog shows all spring/summer long. All my dogs sleep in the room in crates, they have learned from puppy hood to sleep in a crate when I put them in one.
Hotels love dogs in crates, they will not be loose to pee or poop when you have left for dinner.
I no longer leave my dogs in my vehicle at night, too many cases of vehicles being stolen with the dogs inside.

Crate, crate, crate.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I like the idea of the "white noise" . I have trouble with Meika doing the nervous barking at hotels.
Sasha ,on the other hand, is so quiet I forget she is with us lol unless another dog is near.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Get a crate, get him used to it at home and then travel with it. In the motel room, set up the crate, put him in it for the night, cover the front if needed and get a good nights sleep.
I travel to dog shows all spring/summer long. All my dogs sleep in the room in crates, they have learned from puppy hood to sleep in a crate when I put them in one.
Hotels love dogs in crates, they will not be loose to pee or poop when you have left for dinner.
I no longer leave my dogs in my vehicle at night, too many cases of vehicles being stolen with the dogs inside.

Crate, crate, crate.
I agree with this. It is a good idea to get them used to crates for situations like this, and other things that may come up (overnight stays at the vet, boarding etc...).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts