German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha, if I issue a "Stay" for Rasa, if she is excited to do something, the stay may be effective for 5-6 seconds and I have to repeat. If not excited then the "Stay" may be ok for a minute or so before release. In Prey mode in her favorite Mongoose hunting area, a Stay has to be repeated every 2-4 seconds to work. She will "eyeball" me waiting for even the SLIGHTEST indication of a release. She is getting much better, as I vary the length of stay and location and circumstances and always release when I see she is on the edge of non-compliance. So I am always successful and can Good Girl her. Is this as much as can be expected? Suggestions?
Frank

·
Registered
137 Posts
In Obedience trials in Novice, they have to sit and stay 1 min and lay down and stay 3 min. With you in plain sight. In Open class they have to sit and stay 3 min and down and stay 5 min with you completely out of sight.
But you decide how long you want it to last at home.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I expect the 'stay' to last until I release them. It has to be built up though when you are training, you have to work on increasing the duration of the stay slowly.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog is 2 years old now. the longest he has stayed has been a 1/2 hour. he stayed a 1/2 hour with distractions. people were walking pass, dogswere walking pass and people were pulling on his leash. i was out of sight.

a friend of mine has a store. Loki and i visted my friend one day
at the store. i placed Loki in a down-stay beside the front store of
the store. plenty of people were coming and going. my friend went out and pulled on Loki's leash to try to move him. then my friend
offered Loki some lunch meat. Loki helded his ground. a couple of the customers went out and called Loki and pulled on his leash
but he held the down-stay.

when i first started training Loki to stay i would
have him sit and move a couple of feet from him. as he caught
on to stay i started adding distance and distractions. then i started
moving out of sight. i slowly increased the time i was out of sight.
with the people distraction i had people call him by name, pet him vigorously and pull on his leash. he caught on rather quickly that stay means stay no matter what.

we training stay we trained everywhere. we trained inside, outdoors, in front of the Supermarket (my favorite training place), the dog park, in the woods, put him in the car with the door open,
we trained everywhere.

when training my sessions were only 5 or 10 minutes long.
we did 6 to 10 sessions a day. we trained a little in the morning, noon and night.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
it takes some time, after a couple years, 2 of mine will down stay even if mr. bunny rabbit comes in the yard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts