German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have been actively searching for nearby Schutzhund clubs to join in preparation for my pup's arrival in the Spring. The nearest club seems to be approximately an hour and a half away. I was wondering whether anybody here has experience with starting a local club of their own, and how it was done.

Thank you for sharing whatever information you have.

Kind regards,
Angel

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the same boat except the closest training to me is about a three hour drive. I really wish I could find something within an hour to an hour and a half.

If you read this thread, Chris Wild gave me some good information about starting a club.

The DVG even offers packets on starting a new club.

Here you go.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ible-finding-shutzhund-training-our-area.html
Thank you very much for that thread link, it was extremely informative and exactly the information I was seeking. Greatly appreciated! I didn't realize that clubs were so few and far between, which tells me it is inevitable to travel far. I am sure I will look into possibly opening one up in my area at some point, if enough people are interested.

Kind regards,
- Angel

·
Banned
869 Posts
If you want to train the dog...just do it.

I met a guy a few years ago that didn't have a club close to him. So with his first dog he watched videos, talked to people on the phone and went to seminars. He trained his dog in obedience and tracking. And his wife handled the dog while he did his own helper work. This dog went on to be sch2 and didn't look horrible. Not great great either, but he did it.

If you want to train, you train. If you want to bitch about the lack of training, you go on the internet. :p

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I met a guy a few years ago that didn't have a club close to him. So with his first dog he watched videos, talked to people on the phone and went to seminars. He trained his dog in obedience and tracking. And his wife handled the dog while he did his own helper work. This dog went on to be sch2 and didn't look horrible. Not great great either, but he did it.

If you want to train, you train. If you want to bitch about the lack of training, you go on the internet. :p

Pardon me, but I was not bitching, simply seeking information. I prefer to train under the guidance of experienced people, because I seek to get the best I possibly can out of my dog and do it correctly.

Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Angel,

I see you are in Canada - not sure which club is 1 1/2 hrs away from you but if it is a good solid active club with experienced members and helpers who are committed, I would lean towards checking this club out rather than starting one (to start with) if you are wishing to work under the guidance of experienced folk to start out. Not sure if you have ever done SchH before, but it is quite a learning curve and working with experienced members who are very active in the sport is a huge help for not only one's dog, but also for one as a handler. I drive about 40 minutes but would not hesitate in a heartbeat to drive twice that distance if I could access more resources (particularly in the protection phase) to increase my own skill/knowledge and that of my dog if it was available. Just my two cents of course, and I guess it also depends on what one's goals are as well (eg just for fun or more for serious competition).

You are likely already aware of the GSSCC, but here is the link nevertheless. The policy manual outlines some basics about starting a new club, so that may be something else to look at if you have not already done so.

And the thread posted above with respects to starting a club is a fantastic one.

Best Regards,

Nicole

·
Banned
869 Posts

Pardon me, but I was not bitching, simply seeking information. I prefer to train under the guidance of experienced people, because I seek to get the best I possibly can out of my dog and do it correctly.

Thank you for the response.
Settle down. I didn't think that YOU were.

I agree that training with experienced people is best, but what if there is no experienced people available? It seems like every answer so far has boiled down to, drive or die. I think there is another option.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Angel,

I see you are in Canada - not sure which club is 1 1/2 hrs away from you but if it is a good solid active club with experienced members and helpers who are committed, I would lean towards checking this club out rather than starting one (to start with) if you are wishing to work under the guidance of experienced folk to start out. Not sure if you have ever done SchH before, but it is quite a learning curve and working with experienced members who are very active in the sport is a huge help for not only one's dog, but also for one as a handler. I drive about 40 minutes but would not hesitate in a heartbeat to drive twice that distance if I could access more resources (particularly in the protection phase) to increase my own skill/knowledge and that of my dog if it was available. Just my two cents of course, and I guess it also depends on what one's goals are as well (eg just for fun or more for serious competition).

You are likely already aware of the GSSCC, but here is the link nevertheless. The policy manual outlines some basics about starting a new club, so that may be something else to look at if you have not already done so.

And the thread posted above with respects to starting a club is a fantastic one.

Best Regards,

Nicole

Greetings,

I agree with you. It is worth the drive to learn with those who can help you achieve your full potential. While I have watched and studied the sport, I have never participated, and that means I need to be taught and instructed properly by someone with experience. I thought perhaps in the future when I was established as a Schutzhund competitor I could open one close to home, or assist in starting a new club with other members from my area. It was just a thought I figured was worth investigating. ;)

Thank you for the response!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

if there was a like button to hit, i would hit like for this post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts