German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I hope to take Hogan to some training. My son is most uncooperative, so it is time to venture out The group does some SDA work, but Hogan is just beginning foundation stuff.

Considering my track record, it always with trepidation that I go out and about to try training.

Hogan is 16 months old and already I can barely handle the monster when he is pulling. The very idea has me locating the large bottle of Advil!

Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Best of luck to you & have fun!
I would like to get involved in an SDA club too...

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm a bit confused... if you had Hogan all his life, why haven't you trained him before now?

I'd hate training too if I had a 16 month old monster with no manners.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
It's the kind of "training" you can't do at home ... :)

Well, you can but you better have a bitesuit or a sleeve on!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Good luck, just go into it knowing the goal is for you and your pup to have fun no matter what. So bring treats and toys along with a good attitude and everything will work out in the long run!

Updates/photos and videos are always welcome. Specially at the start so we can compare over time!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh he has had some training as far as basic obedience foundation, but that is not spectacular for the amount of time I have had! I keep waiting for him to mature where I can put some pressure on him in obedience. This guy is not a goofy for food and toy worker in that part of the training equation. I like the dog and I don't hate working him, it is just that my back and lungs don't seem to like holding on to him in a protection harness!

The training we went to was protection. We can do obedience and tracking at home, yes.

I told the helper I was bringing my puppy out. He is just 16 months old. So many times I have had people put too much pressure on a youngster before they were built up and ready for it. It can ruin a young, green dog.

He got the tug out and I said he did a couple of sessions during the past sixteen months with a tug and puppy sleeve so he might could handle a sleeve. He decided to start with the tug and work up. Sounded good.

Hogan had a great time. We quickly went to the sleeve which he swallowed with gusto. The helper then said he is not a puppy, he is a LION! Well, yes I was pleased with his first session. But, this is also the thing I worry about. When the dog is promising and shows strength before he is fully mature, it can go badly if he is pushed too far, and the temptation is there. The fellow doing the training helper work did a good job with him.

Jess, took Moxie and Hogan's sister, Hella, also. Both the girls did well too. Just so wish this was not all sooo far away.

I also took the show puppy along. She has been at her kennel home for four months and not out too much. I just got her yesterday and she is in "settle in" mode. I took her along today to keep her with me, get used car rides and do some socialization. At the field, they said get out your pup and I said this is probably not her venue but the socialization opportunity is good. She is quite diminuitive and only four months old... she went nuts for the flirt pole toy.

Jess has video and pics but she had to rush off to work tonight. Pictures to follow soon though!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes! Hogan, Hella, Moxie and show-puppy did great!

(thank goodness work hasn't blocked the GSD forums! lol) So, as I sit here wishing I could post the photos, etc for everyone to see... I am going to have to draw out the suspense and make you all wait until tomorrow. Most likely in the later evening. After sleep, kids and dog training stuff is done lol

It was a fun day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts