German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was hoping I could get some good advice on starting our 8 week old puppy in protection? Should we do OB first? Some say yes, others no. The pups sire and dam have good drives and the father is two years old and is starting protection. We just wanted to start this pup out right. I bought a ball on string and a puppy rag. Any more techniques we should be using for puppy protection, or any certain method? We are going to be using a local trainer also, but I just thought I'd get advice here as well. Thank you.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. A lot of people have said not to do hard corrections if you are going to do OB first so I think we will go with mild Ob, then do more serious OB later on. We will socialize him very well. We live on a very dog friendly island, so socializing will be easy. Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. I was not saying I needed to do hard corrections, I was just wondering about the OB. I have always started them young. But recently a lot of people I talked to said to wait.. But I'm going with every ones advice. Thank you.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to JKlatsky, the things you suggested in this post are helpful and make sense. Thanks so much. I spoke with the trainer today and he explained everything to me. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.