German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is a sign of the "puppy" stage about to come to a close?

My boy Nanook is almost 11 months old. By nature he isn't one of those dogs that is overly curious with disregard for where their owner is and just wanders off. He only investigates things if he knows he is "allowed". I know as a dog matures, especially male ones, they wander more because of hormones etc as they are becoming sexually mature. So they aren't entirely thinking with their brains anymore hehe! I wonder if this is happening to Nanook?

He doesn't **** his leg yet, and he hasn't humped any cushions or furniture. He tried to hump a small male dog, but I asked him what he was trying to do and he stopped haha. So generally we haven't had him neutered yet because I figure he isn't grown up enough yet in that department, but I'm wondering if we're nearing it?

Today has been a record day for jumping fences into next door's garden, escaping from his dog run... I thought it was to go pester the ancient greyhound next door but it seems he's interested in the pet lambs in next door's garden (it's lambing season here and some mothers refused a few lambs). So is he just being a bit of a curious puppy? Or is this the beginning of wandering behaviour you can associate with being sexually mature?

I hear a lot of this sort of stuff calms down once a dog's been neutered?

·
Registered
125 Posts
We have not neutered our guy, and he has on a couple of occasions followed his 'girlfriends' at the off leash dog park for a little while. He's just curious. 9 months old. Little younger, but has done similar things.

Generally yes, if you neuter, they will do less of this. Keep him busy or they will go find something else to be busy with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have not neutered our guy, and he has on a couple of occasions followed his 'girlfriends' at the off leash dog park for a little while. He's just curious. 9 months old. Little younger, but has done similar things.

Generally yes, if you neuter, they will do less of this. Keep him busy or they will go find something else to be busy with.
Hahhaha thanks that made me laugh! I think he's just really interested in having lamb for dinner - but is being very bold about it because he's a late developer and finally hitting those teenage years! :p

I doubt he'll ever get a girlfriend before he gets the snip... there's no one his size around hahaha

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please can I have a lamb?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Keep consistent with the obedience training and exercise, they need to work off those hormones somewhere :)

11 months is not a bad time to neuter if that's what you want, Delgado was done at 10 months and he's matured well both physically and mentally

1 - 5 of 5 Posts