German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an e-mail from my breeder that she had done the breeding!! She said that the puppies are due the first week of December. Waiting is going to be so hard. :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Playing the waiting game here as well! ^^ Well, more like going crazy with the lack of stuff to distract me with until December. A waiting group would be nice!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
My sincere condolences... thi is a hard time indeed :)

I've been waiting for this breeding to happen since December 2009, and now this last weeks are killing me!!!

360 more hours...

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Everybody in the support group should post what they know about the pup they're getting and how far out they are.

I'm working with Van Meerhout in Hutto, TX. In my opinion they are a top-notch breeder of working GSDs. They asked me more questions than I asked them, allowed me to come out to their place and meet the dogs, and spent a few hours talking to me. I put a deposit on a sable male. I spent a lot of time talking to the breeder about what I'm looking for and feel confident she'll find me a sable boy with the drives and temperament I'm looking for.

I'll probably get a puppy from this breeding:

SG Querlie von der Adelegg - German shepherd dog
SG Keiko vom Räuber Hotzenplotz - German shepherd dog

They were bred about 10 days ago, though; so we're not yet sure that she's pregnant.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Everyone probably already knows my story but I'll post it anyway.

It was hard to find a good breeder around this area, but I managed to find Sequoyah German Shepherds in TN. The breeder is a vet as well. I just recently put a deposit/reserve on a 2011 May/June Connie litter.

The breeder hasn't decided on the sire yet, but Connie, the mother, is almost 3 years old, has good hips, and correct me if I'm wrong, has done military or police work (forgot which one). She has an on and off switch as well. I think she's what you guys call a sable?

I feel very comfortable and confident in this breeder. I like how they do what they do. The price is higher than I wanted ($1800), but I'm willing to pay that.

I'll update you guys on who the sire will be when she decides.

·
Registered
245 Posts
:eek: Well you guys can scratch me off the waiting list for a little while longer, I'm back to square one with my search! :crazy:

Best of luck to those of you playing the waiting game! =) Your GSDs will get here before you know it!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Everybody in the support group should post what they know about the pup they're getting and how far out they are.

I'm working with Van Meerhout in Hutto, TX. In my opinion they are a top-notch breeder of working GSDs. They asked me more questions than I asked them, allowed me to come out to their place and meet the dogs, and spent a few hours talking to me. I put a deposit on a sable male. I spent a lot of time talking to the breeder about what I'm looking for and feel confident she'll find me a sable boy with the drives and temperament I'm looking for.

I'll probably get a puppy from this breeding:

SG Querlie von der Adelegg - German shepherd dog
SG Keiko vom Räuber Hotzenplotz - German shepherd dog

They were bred about 10 days ago, though; so we're not yet sure that she's pregnant.

What about you guys?

I cant wait to see what your puppy is going to be like! Gorgeous Dam and Sire!!! Wow. :wub: Im so very happy for you!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I've been waiting for this breeding since past year. I already knew the sire, and is the dog I've ever dreamed of owning and had met the dam also, but only saw the last working in a series of helper workshops. The breeder is a person who has done a lot for Schutzhund in Chile, importing new bloodlines of working lines and bringing top trainers to dictate seminars.

In December I started to question whether he was about to breed his female and he told me it was on his plans, but he wanted to get the Korüng first. I exchanged a lot of mails and some phone calls then, but then he stopped answering my mails. So I waited, months went by and I thought he had backed off of selling me a pup :( I already started raising a litter of pups for my SAR teams and the plan was to keep one of them for myself when one day the breeder calls me announcing that the ultrasound is showing 5 pups and that "of course" one was mine. Then i had to decide if I kept the free pup of the litter I was rising or if I went with the original plan. Finally (against my finances) decided for the later, this is a breeding with bloodlines I could not get anywhere near unless I import a pup myself, with top dogs on both sides and, even more important, my breeder shares the same philosophy about working dogs and GSDs than me and I trust his knowledge and criteria more than my own.

So here I am, after start planning this almost a year ago, now desperately counting the days for the October 22, when I'll go to Santiago to a SchH seminar and will bring the pup home with me.

This is my breeder website: Poputchik - Ovejeros Alemanes de Trabajo

This is Calais, the dam

And this is Irus, the sire, and also the grandsire of Diabla

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
It really is hard work.

After all my planning and waiting for months, when the time came for mating the breeder could not get a flight to Finland. So, I frantically start my research over again when I spotted the Sire of my puppy and fell in love.

Found a future breeding and started emailing the breeder regarding a reservation (mated but not yet born). I was emailing back and forth with the owner of the sire, also, to get more information on temperament and he mentioned there were a couple of puppies left from a prior breeding and the puppies were 7 weeks old. It was a litter of 11!

I rush to get the puppy one week later. When picking up the puppy the breeder told me that the other litter, I had almost put a deposit down on, all puppies except one died at birth from complications. Boaz was meant to be.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh no! What happened??
:( Heard some not so nice things about the companies we WERE going to get dogs from, (on Leerburg, at least) and the prices were beyond...reasonable. So I took the advice of a few people on here to try and search for what I need at a more reasonable price! =) So my search begins again, and now we're looking at Alpine K-9 in Phoenix, AZ.

My Dad personally likes to have options just in case one of 'em doesn't work out, so he's looking at Command Control K9 and Elite K9 Security as well. The last one I'm not particularly fond of, what with the lack of information on the people/person who owns the company. But things are a little hectic right now, so phone calls will probably be made next week sometime! ( ;) I doubt they'd appreciate us calling on a Sunday anyway.)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Count me in on that waiting game. But it's just a couple more months now hopefully. I've been researching GSDs for at least 6 months now, trying to find what lines, breeder, etc would be best suited for me. And then to find a club to train with has also been challenging, but fun.

And now I just have to wait until I graduate (December) to be able to financially support myself and the dog. I have everything lined up, ready to go. But now I'm getting really excited :D after watching everyone else at the club train their dogs. I know it will be worth the wait though.

Good luck to everyone else waiting or looking for a dog!!!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Cayla, are you graduating from high school, college, grad school, tech school? I don't know why but I'm always interested in this stuff. Also, where are you getting your pup from and could you post the parents?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm graduating from college, nursing school, University of Texas in Houston.

I've been talking to Chris Wild but I haven't nailed down anything yet. I would really like to get a pup from her and I'm hoping there might be one for me in her next litter. We will have to see :)

I looked at Meerhout's website, as they are much closer to me, and they have been recommended by a lot of people here. But I would still like to go with Wildhaus if I have my pick.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I seriously considered contact Wildhaus for my puppy, but finally decided I wanted a breeder I could meet in person, meet their dogs, visit my puppy, and bring him home myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts