German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to starting my white shepherd on raw soon. I'm still going to be feeding him kibble as I travel to shows and right now it's just not really doable to bring it all with me. So I'm going to try out adding raw into his kibble to make it more "healthy". He's on wellness core for kibble. So far my plan is to add..

1 raw egg every other day to start off. (He's had 2 so far and loves them)
1 tbls of plain yogurt for probiotic(thinking of alternating it with the egg)
I put an order in for 5 lbs of chicken necks and backs and 5 lbs of hearts and gizzards so they will come in about a week.

So for right now I'm trying to make it more nutritious and have less "waste". Later if i can i will switch to all raw if i can make it work. I'm starting off small to reduce upset tummy. I read about feeding kibble and raw together and how they break down different but I would think the stomach would break down the easy stuff first. Just wondering if you guys have any advice on other things to add in. He's a very lean 90 lbs right now so I would like to build some weight as well. If I'm still feeding kibble do I need to supplement? Thanks in advance for your help! Also curious if anyone knows if there is a ratio on how much to feed? I was planning on starting with half a pound of raw?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
If you want to feed raw and kibble you really should feed them separately.

You also need to calculate how much kibble the dogs needs, then determine what percentage you will be feeding kibble and use that to calculate how much to actually feed him.

Then do the same thing for the raw.

If you don't start with pretty specific numbers you run the risk of either under or over feeding, causing loose stools or constipation and not having a good balance (for nutritional purposes).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I can do 2 separate feeding a as my mom just informed me she won't feed raw to him while I'm at work so kibble in the mornings and raw at night should work?
As for a percentage he gets 4 cups a day in kibble and he weighs roughly 90 lbs but I can get him reweighed. How do I get the percentage?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
The kibble part is easy - 2 cups (half of 4). :)

The raw part is trickier. If he weighs 90 pounds and he's fully grown AND that 90 pounds looks good on him (not too fat, not too thin), then you would go with the following:

2.5% of his body weight = 90 * 2.5% = 2.25 pounds (that's 2 pounds 4 ounces)

Cut that in half would be 1 pound 2 ounces.

50% of that would be Raw Meaty Bones = 9 ounces
45% of that would be Muscle Meat = 8 ounces
5% of that would be Organ Meat = 1 ounce

I rounded some of those values to make it easier to measure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Laurie are you the one who has the raw dog ranch website? I read that website pretty much top to bottom. Great advice on there! I am going to weigh him just to double check as I think he's lost a little weight and needs to gain some.

To transition his morning meal to raw do I just switch him straight over or slowly remove more kibble I'm going to get some ground chicken to start him off as I'm not sure if he will jump right into a chicken neck :) thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Thanks - that is my website. :)

I tend to do a complete switch - kibble one meal, raw the next.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lauri I bought some chicken breast with the bone in. I seperated it today because I thought it would be easier to figure out my percentages at first. Just wondering when looking at the breast bone it seemed very brittle and when I broke a piece of it seemed very sharp. I'm starting him with chicken necks / backs when I get them Friday for now I just gave him some plain breast meat to see if he would eat it. Are the breast bones ok? Should I make sure he can handle the necks and backs then after a week try the breast bones?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Yep - ALL the bones of a chicken are ok.

ETA

If you are going to try to figure the bone portion all by itself then you would want to go with around 10% ACTUAL bone.

I don't bother with getting that detailed. I use my best judgement. Necks are very high in bones, leg quarters are not. So, when I feed necks I tend to give less of those (RMBs) and more muscle meat on that day to balance things out better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice I gave him some raw chicken breast this morning with his kibble (I didn't have enough for a whole meal) and he just had his night poop and I was not runny at all so I'm thinking he is going to take to raw well. I'm supposed to get my order of stuff Friday so ill be back with more questions later I'm sure.

Actually- how long do I wait before adding organ meat in? Do I do a little right from the get go? Or should I add it in by the end of next week? I have only found chicken hearts and gizzards so far. ( I know the heart is a muscle) not really sure what gizzards actually are :/

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Both hearts and gizzards are muscle meat. Liver is the easiest organ meat to find; kidney smells too much like urine for my guys to eat.

You can add organ meat right away if you want - just be sure to use small amounts. My boy Mauser weighs in around 80 lbs and gets 1 ounce of liver per day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts