German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After reading up on RAW I've decided to start my dog on it. Mainly to help eliminate his bad breath (caused by bacteria I'm sure) and to firm up his stools.

Based on what I've read we're going to start him off on chicken backs. I couldn't find anything on this so I have to ask.....do you rinse the chicken first??

I personally always rinse chicken before I cook it to get the slime off. Do I rinse it for the pup? :help:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If you want to rinse first, you can, but you don't have to. I will rinse anything that has a slimy feel.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You don't have to wash, but I would highly suggest starting on chicken quarters instead of backs. Chicken backs have too much bone and fat in relation to muscle meat making it highly not nutritious. I would use it as a bone source when you need more bone in the diet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Verivus, after doing more reading I actually did go out and buy a case of chicken quarter legs. The price of chicken backs is almost a third the cost of the quarter legs so I would like to use that as a main source of RMB eventually.

I would also like to feed him green tripe on a regular basis as I can get a pretty good deal on it from a local supplier.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
If the backs are cheaper go with those and just feed less of them and more muscle meat. I do that when I feed turkey or chicken necks (mostly bone).

I never bother rinsing the stuff I give the dogs unless it smells REALLY ripe (like 'make-you-eyes-water' ripe).

Remember - dogs lick their butts and privates. A little meat slime isn't going to hurt them!! :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I wish I could wash the nasty smell of green tripe off :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts