German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, this is my very first post on this website. Im glad i found a place with what seems to be valuable infomration from alot of people who are experienced with feeding raw diets to their dogs.

I've been doing alot of research for the past couple of weeks and i have some concerns that i would like if some of you could give me your advice on.
I'm picking up my 8 week old german shepherd in a few days and im concerned with his first week of food that i have planned for him. I was going to feed him chicken wings that i would mash up so that he wouldn't have a problem eating them. I read that as long as i start making his diet more balanced after the initial few days to a week of starting him on a raw diet i should be fine. Should i be concerned that he wont be getting an 80/10/10 diet for his first week considering chicken wings are around 46% bones. Should i buy some chicken breast so that the percentage of bones are closer to 10% a day instead of 46%?

Keep in mind i will be adding different protein sources and eventually getting him on a 80/10/10 diet after the first week. I just wanted to make sure that feeding him such a high percentage of bones for the first week wasnt going to be harmful for him, considering he might have constipation from all the bones.

·
Registered
382 Posts
John i did some research on raw diets and still want to do raw diet. I would recommend you look at Darwin's, BARF or Instinct. I think 80/10/10 might be to high, this was the number i was going to go by, 10-15% bones, 5-10% offal, 60- 75% meat and 15-25% veggies (and fruit)

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
John,

if you are new to raw, please don't take chances. Puppy development is crucial the first year. I would not start by trying something for the first week. Chicken wings are pretty fatty and have more bone than meat. Not a balanced diet. To teach them to chew you want to start with something they cannot swallow whole, like an entire chicken back instead of grinding up bone.
There is good info on the forum. Griff (almost 6 months) is growing up nicely on a good kibble in the morning and raw in the evening.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi there is a lot of info on the web. i do 5/1/1 with maggie. she is 15 weeks now vet said she looked great shes a big girl 41 lbs but shes filled in nicely..

i love that i control what my pup eats at all times!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Chevyfreese, please share who formulated that and why you trust them. Also, why are you advocating for peas in the raw-fed diet? Also, have you checked the NRC micronutrient calculations on it, or did the person who did the formulation? If that's all been done, great...if not...be skeptical.

The reason to be skeptical of random recipes on the Internet is most Internet home diet recipes end up being deficient in something, according to respected canine nutritionist Monica Segel, when she plugs them into the NRC spreadsheet. Her book K9 Kitchen has the old NRC guidelines in the appendix...a little outdated, but if you don't want to pay for the new ones, it's better than guessing. Or pay her a few hundred bucks to consult and to come up with a custom recipe. You can also use the BalanceIt.com recipe formulator and put in what you're feeding, and it will tell you if it's balanced -- that site is owned by a DVM/PhD vet nutritionist affiliated with UC Davis vet school.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John,

if you are new to raw, please don't take chances. Puppy development is crucial the first year. I would not start by trying something for the first week. Chicken wings are pretty fatty and have more bone than meat. Not a balanced diet. To teach them to chew you want to start with something they cannot swallow whole, like an entire chicken back instead of grinding up bone.
There is good info on the forum. Griff (almost 6 months) is growing up nicely on a good kibble in the morning and raw in the evening.

From what i understand the diet cant be balanced in the beginning, because if you try to feed him liver/kidney and a variety of different meats all at once in the first week, he wont be able to keep anything in, he'll just throw it all up. So i don't see how you can start off with a balanced diet, you work your way up to a balanced diet am i wrong?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John,

I responded to this but for some reason it didn't post, just in case you get 2 responses the first one was probably delayed.

I dont see how you can feed a balanced diet in the very beginning with a puppy. From what i've seen most people do is they start out with 1 muscle meat and work their way up to a variety of muscle meats and start to add organs after the first couple weeks. If you start off the bat with a variety of muscle meats and organs from what i understand your puppy will just not keep anything down.

I've seen alot of negative stuff regarding feeding your dog both kibble and raw meat considering they are digested at different rates. So i'm going to stick to one or the other. I'm confident in my ability to give him all the proper nutrients with his raw diet, i'm just not so confident about it being ok to start off with 1 muscle meat because of the lack of nutrients that they would be getting in the very beginning. Was hoping someone who started their dog on a raw diet at a young age could let me know how they did it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What i realized about feeding my dog raw was I didn't have the intuition on the proper balances to ensure she was getting the right nutrition. If you can do that then you should. But if you are just doing it because you want your dog to be healthy and you are like me, then you should be purchasing a commercial product imho

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
I don't mix kibble with raw. it is in separate meals (AM and PM). I have done it in the past, mixing ground beef in with kibble and never saw a problem actually.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
This site would be good if the "what to feed" section wasn't left blank :D

Well, poo. I didn't go that far so didn't notice that. Sorry. :surprise:

I have fed raw for almost 20 years and weaned 10 litters to raw. I use a commercial mix to start them now, but I used to grind. It isn't that difficult, but when done wrong it is often done very wrong (and I have seen the results of raw done wrong).

My currents pups, who are 4.5 months old, eat chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, beef tripe, eggs and occasionally some other protein source like fish or beaver. Organ meat is usually beef, chicken or turkey, though when I weaned them the mixes included whole chickens, whole turkeys, whole mutton, and whole beef with an 80/10/10 mixture. I also feed some supplements just to make sure I am covering everything. Most of the mixtures I feed are grass fed also. The pups eat mostly raw meaty bones now and not ground, but I still use some of the ground to mix in supplements and the organ meat is usually ground.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i am just adding what i am feeding i am working with a vet on the diet.

Peas was my bad.

one reason i hold off on 90%.of posting here is beacuse people chew u our for saying i feed my pup xyz. Until my pup has an issue, which she does not, she has been vet checked, watched carefully and it doing great.

Over 1/2 of the people i have talked to about raw feeding believe giving a chicken breast everyday is raw feeding.

didnt mean for this to vlow up a post have a great day!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts