German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a lot of research about the ecollar, I purchased a dogtra for my 1 year old gsd. Her working level inside the house is an 8 and outside she feels/reacts to an 11. Her reaction is not consistent though. Sometimes she gets destracted by a smell and even when I dial up to a 16 she does not respond. Do I need to dial up further to get her attention back and after that back to her working level?* Or could it be something else? Her collar is snug and I'm pretty sure that there is good contact. She got the zoomies on the leash twice while working with her, so I'm concerned that this was an effect of the collar.
Maybe the sensation confuses her but I am still in the beginning stage with teaching her how to shut the collar off. I tap when she gets destracted and stop and praise her when she comes towards me.
Any tips how I should proceed?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
After doing a lot of research about the ecollar, I purchased a dogtra for my 1 year old gsd. Her working level inside the house is an 8 and outside she feels/reacts to an 11. Her reaction is not consistent though. Sometimes she gets destracted by a smell and even when I dial up to a 16 she does not respond. Do I need to dial up further to get her attention back and after that back to her working level?* Or could it be something else? Her collar is snug and I'm pretty sure that there is good contact. She got the zoomies on the leash twice while working with her, so I'm concerned that this was an effect of the collar.
Maybe the sensation confuses her but I am still in the beginning stage with teaching her how to shut the collar off. I tap when she gets destracted and stop and praise her when she comes towards me.
Any tips how I should proceed?
I'm not totally sure what your method is for teaching it based on just this but if I understand correctly, I'd make her respond to the 16 with the leash or line. After a few reps you should be able to tell if the number is just too low or she just needed more guidance

If your collar is not tight enough or your contact isn't awesome when they put their head down to sniff it can loosen and impact contact

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I'm not sure what methods you are using either. "Working" level will typically change depending upon environment, drive level, distractions etc.. Are you working with a trainer? Ecollars are great tools used correctly, however they can create problems, much of which can be easily avoided with proper guidance.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm not sure what methods you are using either. "Working" level will typically change depending upon environment, drive level, distractions etc.. Are you working with a trainer? Ecollars are great tools used correctly, however they can create problems, much of which can be easily avoided with proper guidance.
Agree ^^^^^You really should be working with a trainer who knows and teaches the use of e-collsrs....timing is important or the collar can cause problems IMO...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Please use a trainer to show you how to use it correctly. The collar needs to be tight enough that it won’t slip and the dog will feel it. You should be able to use a low level if it’s positioned right. It should be to the side, below the ear and not in the direct center under the dog’s neck. You should also not need to use it very much if the dog is conditioned and responsive to a low level. One click should be enough to get the dog’s attention. If the dog is in drive, it may ignore the shock, then you have to decide if you need to crank it up. If you do, be sure to bring it back down right away. Also, check the level periodically because it’s possible to accidentally turn the wheel and level up the shock without meaning to.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
This is the first I have heard of this. I've used them for most of a decade without any trouble. Is this first hand experience?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
This is the first I have heard of this. I've used them for most of a decade without any trouble. Is this first hand experience?
I had to mail one back because it was malfunctioning straight out of the box. It was a 280 and it was apparently the last of the old type of 280 (ncp?) before they came out with the new 280c. I can't remember exactly what the old ones used to be called vs the new ones. I love Dogtra and will remain loyal but I was so unimpressed with their customer service. The collar was inconsistently responding to the remote at close range, literally straight out of the box. It was easiest to identify by using the pager feature but it also did it with stim, I tested it on myself.

I actually had that same problem with another 280-- but a really old one. And that one I had driven off with it on the roof of my car and it flew off at 60 mph. I found it on the side of the road and kept using it for years before the inconsistency happened. I mailed that one back to Dogtra and they repaired it and then it was fine. That one I didn't really feel like was a negative to Dogtra because the collar was kind of old and had been abused before it started malfunctioning so....

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Also, OP- what model collar do you have? I've never used an IQ but heard not good things about them.

I've used and owned a lot of 280s and 1900s and like them very much

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes, and I have heard the same from others I have trained with. I like the E-Collar Technology's Mini Educator. It is a low to medium stim collar that goes from 0-100. The only dogs it wouldn't be effective on are extremely handler hard dogs or dogs very extreme in drive that have a high pain tolerance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts