German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody - my daughter just got a BOERBOEL [ MASTIFF FAMILY ] - SHE IS FEEDING A RAW DIET AND SHE HAS TALKED US INTO THE SAME - SALEEN WEIGHS 75 LBS. WE FIGURED 1.5 LBS OF RAW .. WHAT KIND OF FOOD DO YOU GUY`S USE... CHICKEN PARTS - FISH - TURKEY NECKS.. ANYTHING ELSE ????

·
Registered
75 Posts
My girl was 65 pounds and ate anywhere from 3 to 3.5 per day. She was very active so even at that level, she was pretty lean. When you are starting, start with one protein source to let their system adjust. I started with chicken. I fed that for a month before adding another protein. I worked my way up to 4 sources a week. Typically, beef, chicken, mackerel, lamb, goat and venison were rotated. We tried pork, but she could not handle it at all. I know this is gross, but learn to be a poo watcher. If its coming out fine, you are probably okay. Make sure you are getting the right bone ratio. Never feed cooked bones, but raw are fine. Oh, and frozen ribs work GREAT for teething pups :) I know yours isn't a baby, but they work awesome for that :) there are some great books out there and there are some great people on this forum who can give great advice. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Jax is 65 lbs and gets 1 lb per day. I started at 2% and adjusted from there.

Her diet includes poultry necks (chicken, duck, turkey), chicken quarters, chicken backs, pork, beef, venison, turkey, canned fish

I tried pork necks but they were breaking her teeth. Pork ribs were to hard and caused diarrhea. Other dogs are fine eating these things but she wasn't.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you say you give 3 lbs. and your dog is only 65 lbs. SALEEN is 75 lbs. and i was told 1.5 lbs.
Yes because we go by what she looks like and her activity level. Anything less and she is much too lean. I know it seems high but the 2-3% of ideal adult weight is a guideline. Every dog is different. We broke the 3-3.5lbs up into 2 meals per day and she does great. Our vet raises shepherds and she is thrilled with her.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes because we go by what she looks like and her activity level. Anything less and she is much too lean. I know it seems high but the 2-3% of ideal adult weight is a guideline. Every dog is different. We broke the 3-3.5lbs up into 2 meals per day and she does great. Our vet raises shepherds and she is thrilled with her.

I'm sorry...I spoke in present tense. She is no longer with me but I feel her everyday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts