German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally posted this on another thread that someone else started, but maybe it'll get more attention if I start a new thread. So here goes. :)

My dog is normally a lover. He loves everyone! Literally. I can take him to Home Depot or the pet store and anyone can just walk right up to him and start petting him, patting him, giving him hugs, etc. I'm not even kidding. He loves practically everyone. Now, don't get me wrong, he will bark when people knock on my door, and he has barked at a couple of people who startled him (we were walking at night and a runner came up behind us and another time someone was running and stopped right as they got next to us. Those instances caused him to bark at them) but usually, he is totally fine with everyone and for strangers, once I let them in and he sees they're not a threat, he's ok with them as well. In fact, I've never had to shut him in a different room, leash him, crate him, nothing. However, there were recently 2 incidents that happened that I am just at a loss for. I should add that my boy is between 5-6 years old and neutered. Not sure if that matters.

So the 1st incident happened when I let a plumber into the house to work on my toilet. Koda (my GSD) was fine when the guy first entered, but then as soon as the guy got into my bathroom, he cornerd him, barking like crazy. I immediately grabbed him and put him up.

The 2nd incident really scared the crap out of me. I had to have someone from the cable company come over to replace one of my DVR boxes. Koda seemed suspicious the entire time. He kept trying to go over to him to smell him, but I wouldn't let him. I was GENTLY holding on to his collar so he wouldn't keep trying to approach the guy. I didn't want to freak the guy out. Then, I sat down on my couch and Koda sat in front of me on the floor. The cable man walked back into my bedroom, at which point Koda laid down at my feet on the floor. He was looking down the hallway, ears alert, listening, but that was it. But then as the cable man walked back up the hallway and got right to the living room, Koda lunged at him and tried to attack him!! Luckily the cable man had a cable box in his hand and used it as a shield. Koda immediately cowered down when the guy shoved the cable box in his face. I immediately put him up in a spare room after that happened. I was so shaken though. He has NEVER done that before.

I have no idea what to make of this!!! I know my dog's not unstable, but one of my friends is saying that he might not be as stable as I think. And that's really bothering me.

What do you all think? Tips on how I can prevent this from happening again that don't involve just shutting him away? I'd hate to always have to shut him in another room anytime a stranger enters my house because I want him to know that it is not acceptable behavior and he CAN remain calm and friendly in those situations. I have really been stressing about this ever since it happened.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think being friendly to people off your property is very very different than accepting strangers into your home. You don't know these guys, what kind of vibes they're giving off, or what they smell like - if they're afraid of dogs, and are being polite by not saying anything. I'd keep him leashed when you're in those situations and then nothing can go wrong. I'd be more worried about the cable guy shoving the box in his face, but that's a much better outcome than getting bitten, that's for sure!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts