German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend wants to get a German Shepherd puppy(7weeks old) But was worried about the whole pack thing. I told him what I have read about the whole male with male or female with female issues and the whole Kennel-mate issue. So he agrees that he will get a puppy raise and train him or her. But would like a second after he/she is trained. If I have read right... Males would be more territorial then females? Right? So would it be best if he gets a famale first then down the road get the boy?

And yes, they will all be fixed.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
My friend wants to get a German Shepherd puppy(7weeks old) But was worried about the whole pack thing. I told him what I have read about the whole male with male or female with female issues and the whole Kennel-mate issue. So he agrees that he will get a puppy raise and train him or her. But would like a second after he/she is trained. If I have read right... Males would be more territorial then females? Right? So would it be best if he gets a famale first then down the road get the boy?

And yes, they will all be fixed.
Honestly I don't really think it matters, males are more protective of the yard, but females are more protective of the family. Our first dog was a female, then we added a male. Recently we were down to one male and we added another male then a female. It didn't make a difference.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It's not too much of an issue, IMHO. When we brought Finn into the house, we had an 8 year old fixed female Collie. They did just fine together. She passed away in September and we just recently added a Pom puppy, female, to the mix. She fits in just fine and we don't have any pack problems. Each dog gets lots of individual loving and individual walks/playtime/training but they also spend time with each other. I think you run into problems when you expect your older dog to show the new one the ropes and you neglect to do anything or the bare minimum with either dog.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I don't think males or females or any more or less protective. That would probably depend on genetics and upbringing more than anything else.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't think the order they get them in will matter either. I have 3...2 females and a male. I will add a male next because that would just fit best with my pack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts