German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our GS, Willa, is currently 5 months, and is NOT a fan of kibble. She picks at it, and ambles away in search of yummier things. My other dog, Thor, is a pit x GS, and has bbaaddddd joints from multiple breaks as a bait dog before he was rescued.

I have also recently acquired a new dog, Shadow. He was my sister's, but, due to his chronic diarrhea and related heath problems, she is overwhelmed between him and her 4 children, and has asked me to take him for a while.

I have tried multiple brands over months with Thor and now Willa, wet, dry, mixed together, with broth, etc., but no luck. Shadow's food history is just as varied over 4 years. I'm hoping this will be our last change! They are missing their evening meal today, and breakfast tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon I am offering up their first dish! I am starting of 100% chicken, as was recommended based off of RawDogRanch.com, as you all definitely appreciate her expertise :)

Fingers crossed! My hubby is VERY concerned about the choke risk with bones, but I have convinced him to let me try. He will definitely be watching, which is why I am making sure to start while he is at work - don't want the pressure to affect the pups! I will be home all day to monitor, and have no issue cutting them up smaller if needed, and plan to for at least the first week, gradually increasing as needed.

Willa is currently 50lbs, Shadow 32lbs, and Thor 58lbs. I have calculated everything out, and am going to make individual bags tomorrow.

I have one question - do you feed once a day? Twice? do you mix everything and split in half, or feed the different meats separately?

I guess that's more than one, but it's all related, so it's one in spirit!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice, I spent more than a few hours over the past week or so browsing this topic forum and educating myself. Can't wait to give it a try! :hug:

·
Registered
176 Posts
As far as how often you feed, it depends on the age of the dog. I feed our 12 year old Rottweiler 2x a day, but he could just et once. Our 4 month old GSD is eating 3x a day. We'll cut back to 2x when he is about 6 months old.

As far as dividing. I find it easier to feed different meats at different feelings, mostly because I keep them in separate containers. Occasionally I'll mix, like when they get sardines. It's not enough, so I'll throw it on top of whatever meat they are having for that meal.

I hope that answered your questions. I hope the last few days has gone well!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I've been feeding prepackaged raw, as I'm new to it and worried about the bones.

My pup had chronic diarrhea, was constantly getting giardia etc. I'm not joking, changing her to raw firmed up her poops within 24 hours and we haven't looked back. I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner. My pup doesn't seem to chew the bones up very well, so maybe some can give you some suggestions for what type to start out with. I've heard chicken backs and necks are good to start them out on.

My only issue is now I'm almost afraid the poops are too firm sometimes. The odd time I'll give her a chew treat and it will upset her tummy again, but so far, so good!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dogs don't chew like we do. They tear the meat off then swallow. Same for bone. My boys will crack the bones and then swallow. Their digestive tract does the rest. :)

As long as the poops aren't chalky, your fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts