German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cody went to his 1st ever group class last Saturday. He was in a puppy class before, but we were the only one's who signed up...

anyway, Cody is sometimes reactive on leash, so I started private lessons with a trainer. We did 2 and she thought he could handle group class so we went.

- he didn't react at all, and actually made a couple friends!
- he WON the only contest we did...

The trainer had everyone heel their dogs and walk in a circle. We would make them do a sit/stay or down/stay, let go of their leashes, and then she would try to make then break their stay.

dropping loud metal folding chairs, knocking on the door, rolling and bouncing balls, tempting them with treats...all sorts of things. it was one mess up and then elimination, and of about 10 dogs Cody WON!!!! he was the only one that made it through all the distractions. I am so proud

thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
:happyboogie: Go Cody for his cooperation and winning that contest! How did you get him to cease being reactive on leash, or do you not know why he wasn't this time?

I have that problem a bit with Koda. It doesn't seem to be an aggressive thing, he just goes on alert, sometimes whines (Very rarely he barks), and tries to pull ahead a bit to mark his territory (Which I don't let him do. I don't need him thinking that A. He can pull me down the street whenever he wants, and B. He owns the whole neighborhood and has to prove that anytime he sees another dog). He doesn't seem to try to pull towards the dogs though, just ahead to mark, like I said, unless we're on the same side of the street. In which case, after asking owners permission for them to meet, he seems to do just fine with them. :shrug:

Anyway, Congratulations Cody! Did he get anything special for winning the contest? Or just a pat on the head and a "Good Boy"? :p

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Melina,

thanks for the congrats...now i know what it feels like to be a proud parent haha.

I think he didnt react, at least partially because the other dogs were calm and in sit stays/ down stays when we entered the class. one of his triggers ive learned is hyper dogs. all the other dogs/handlers there had been going to this class and all had their dogs under control so that helped a ton.

similar to Koda i don't think its really aggression with Cody, more so maybe insecurity or not being sure how to greet other dogs properly. but sometimes he'll lung and bark.

it was just so nice to go from not being sure he'd be able to handle the class at all, to him winning the contest and doing awesome there in general

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Good boy Cody, you made your daddy proud! :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
WhewHoo! Yay Cody! You know alot of that has to do with Dad! :)

Sigourney did the same thing. Her first day of group class was at 12 weeks with alot of older dogs. First thing we did was heel (which I had already taught her basic commands at home). The trainer said she isn't going to heel just let her get use to the place. I said oh yes she will so we all started heeling and the trainer said ok everybody...Sigourney, the baby, is doing better than anyone! :)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Way To Go Cody!!! That is awesome!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Congrats to you, Josh, and handsome Cody!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Alpha mom and Wolfiesmom. I would like to think I played a part in his success haha :)

good job for Sigourney! especially at 12 weeks! i didn't even try heeling with him until at least maybe 6 months

Cody was the only GSD in there too, so I'm glad he represented the breed well too

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Laren!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Congrats, so great to hear how well you both did!

Keep us informed with updates and class pictures would be great too!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Maggie. I could ask someone to take some, but otherwise I'll need my hands for Cody boy lol

but, more pics of Cody in general...of course ;)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Thanks Maggie. I could ask someone to take some, but otherwise I'll need my hands for Cody boy lol

but, more pics of Cody in general...of course ;)
Alot of time there are other family members of other dogs at my classes and I just recruit them to help with the camera. I ask them to take tons of pictures (with the digital) of my dog and the class. That way it's easier to edit down and get rid of the blurry ones and find the great ones.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alot of time there are other family members of other dogs at my classes and I just recruit them to help with the camera. I ask them to take tons of pictures (with the digital) of my dog and the class. That way it's easier to edit down and get rid of the blurry ones and find the great ones.
i should make my GF come anyway so good point.

i could take pics during the sit stays/down stays

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Great job Josh and Cody! And it would be really good for your girlfriend to come to class and participate too.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great job Josh and Cody! And it would be really good for your girlfriend to come to class and participate too.
indeed it would! now if i could only get her out of bed at 8 on saturday to be there by 9 LOL. and thank you :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yay! I love the bonding from classes too. When they make us proud, it makes it all the sweeter. Kudos.

·
Super Moderator
32,411 Posts
Great job! :thumbup: Hyper, out of control dogs are a common trigger. Both of my dogs will sometimes bark on leash when they're around badly behaved dogs. It's much easier for me to keep them from reacting around dogs that are calm or not particularly interested in them. When other dogs stare intently, or bark and lunge towards them it's definitely more challenging, although I can usually keep them calm and focused around more neutral dogs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts