German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get Nina's staph infection issue in hand quickly this time.

http://upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatology/German%20shepherd%20pyoderma.htm

This is what I think it is. It is definitely pyoderma, I believe it sounds like the GSD variety.

Suggested for treatment: "Your veterinarian will work with you to devise a control programme that works for your dog, which may include immunomodulatory bacterins, long term antibiotic use, and/or regular antibacterial shampoos."

Posted about the shampoo.

Got the antibiotic-Baytril.

Then I was like what the heck is an immunomodulatory bacterins?!?!

A little google later:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/staphage-lysate-spl.html

http://www.delmont.com/index.html

I am thinking I may print this out and bring it to her vet, whereupon he will call my cable company and cancel my internets.

Anyone heard of it? Used it? I see that you are supposed to address thyroid issues, which we are. I think they are thinking if it's thyroid only that is causing the pyoderma, then it's silly to do the other stuff? But I am pretty sure it's more of an idiopathic thing. Like I know!

What I do know is that the pyoderma is painful and I'd like to try whatever to resolve it more quickly.

This seems like the idea behind this stuff.

And this ends my Nina research for the evening. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

I am thinking I may print this out and bring it to her vet, whereupon he will call my cable company and cancel my internets.
Lol Jean, that cracked me up. I know my doctor wants to blow my puter up
lol

Cherri

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
you know, Jean... when I was showing a techie co-worker the site I was putting together for Champ... he made a comment that the only thing that would help him is colloidal silver. It comes in a spray or bottle with dropper. Not sure of safety here... but I've heard of colloidal silver before and recently used it on myself. Anyway, wondering if you used the spray as a topical if it would help? It's suppose to be a natural anti-viral.. but honestly I have not done the research on it.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Acetic Acid/Boric Acid as a shampoo???? I would try colloidal silver spray before using that!

If you want, Jean. I was thinking about using colloidal silver on the tips of Ekko's ears. I'm thinking he's got some mite issues again because they are starting to look a bit bare again. I can give it a go and let you know what happens!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah-that's why I am asking! Formulated by a derm vet-but...I don't know! I think medicated baths will help her. I wish I had access to a whirlpool-think the PT place will notice a big black dog floating around?

EEEK! If you want to try it-yeah-sure, let me know!

PS-there is an itchy dog thread near the top I think people should look at. . . bones is the OP.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Jean I missed that Nina is having a relapse.

Interesting because Lakota who usually on has allergy problems late summer/early fall is having problems starting last week. So I think an allergic reaction got this all going for Miss Nina again.

I have had such good success with Lakota and Zymox for the ears I puchased some Medicated rinse for this year.

ZYMOX® Shampoo and Rinse is a treatment that provides a protective antibacterial coating in the fur and skin. Active against:

Pyotraumatic Dermatitis,
Bodyfold Pyoderma,
Impetigo,
Staphylococcus,
Pseudomonas,
Microsporum,
Trichopyton,
Malassezia,
Candida albicans ZYMOX® Rinse directions:

Starting at animal’s neck, work a thin line of Zymox Rinse into scalp and fur, working down the back towards the tail
Apply to both sides and belly of the pet
Pay special attention (by applying a liberal amount) to problem areas
Let pet shake dry and pat dry with a clean towel
Zymox rinse may be used as often as needed
Contains natural enzymes: lactoperoxidase, lactoferrin, and lysozyme.

http://www.entirelypets.com/zymoxrinse12...__utmk=26966334

I might have to go purchase the Shampoo also and give it a a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts