German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey had a burst abcess last week. He was prescribed Baytril for 10 days.

The male vet told us today (Day 7 of Baytril) that Joey’s culture showed three bacteria present. He prescribed an additional 10 days of Baytril, plus Simplicef for 14 days.

The female vet (Joey’s regular doctor) called this afternoon to check on Joey. She said he has a staph infection, strep infection and a GI infection. It should all be treatable with the antibiotics. She also said it’s ok to treat the oozing under his armpits with Vetericyn. He has a follow up visit next Tuesday.

The burst abcess area is healing, but I’m concerned about the infections.

What have been your experiences in this situation? Appreciate your input.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
It’s been quite a few days... any updates on Joey?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s been quite a few days... any updates on Joey?
Thank you for asking. He seems to be improving. Looking forward to the vet visit tomorrow. The scab that had covered the wound fell off this morning; looks a little raw underneath. The Vetericyn is working well. Has a great appetite; drinks and does his business (sometimes poops in the house).

What I’ve noticed (and this may be wishful thinking) - on May 29, he could not get up or walk; when we got him up with the harness, his back paws would knuckle. 17 days later, he’s actually trying to get up on his own; his paws are not knuckling now and he really wants to walk.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Glad to hear he is improving. He just needs a little bit of help right now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update: took Joey today for his followup visit. Abcess is healing. Vet found what looks like a bedsore on his front left elbow (he lays on that area a lot). He shaved and treated the area, and took a culture to see if it’s serious, and also to find out if he has to adjust Joey’s antibiotics. He will be on antibiotics for quite a while. We also have to apply Elbow Butter on the sore.

Also, his back legs were wobbly today (they were better yesterday).

Bottom line, it’s going to be a roller coaster ride. Never realized the importance of “one day at a time” until this happened.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update (6/24/20): Joey’s vet called last night. Two of the bacteria were eradicated by the antibiotics, but the staph infection is still there. She is prescribing another antibiotic, which will replace the two Joey had been taking. My husband will pick it up today.

He still has the sore on his front left elbow. The abcess above his front right elbow appears to have healed.

He’s been getting up from his bed on his own more, and walks a little better (although not as well as I’d like).

Still eats and drinks very well; he can go outside to do his business without the aid of a harness-although he sometimes poops in his bed.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Just now reading this. You and your husband are amazing. Glad your doggy is getting the care he needs, and it sounds like he is getting better.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just now reading this. You and your husband are amazing. Glad your doggy is getting the care he needs, and it sounds like he is getting better.
We appreciate the support we get from this forum; we pray that our sharing provides hope and faith to all GSD owners.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update (7-6-20): Latest culture shows 3 bacteria. 1 or 2 of them are what the vet calls “opportunistic bacteria”. He’s taking Joey off the Sulfatrim and putting him on Doxycycline.

I’m feeling upset right now, but hoping this will work for our boy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts