German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the grooming of a long coat very much more time then a standard coat?
Seems one will be more work but not sure how much?

Why are long coats cheaper to buy from breeders? Is a long coat kind of like a Belgium(spell) gsd? I may have owned a long coat and was a lot of grooming of course, but how does it compare to a standard at a higher purchase price??
I'm only looking for a pet, and the long hair is cheaper cost also.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
No, I hardly have to brush my boy. I do every day, because we run/hike alot, but I only have to spend about 5 minutes brushing him, if even.

A long coat is 100% German Shepherd. They are/were considered a 'fault', thats why they are cheaper. Someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe they are no longer considered a fault in Germany. People who arent breeding for long coats usually sell them cheaper. But, they arent THAT much cheaper, really. I guess people looking to buy a GSD for conformation/sports are looking for a stock coat, not a long coat, so the breeders lower the price of a long coat because they arent 'ideal'? I guess? Not sure, hopefully a breeder can chime in.

My boy is a long coat, he can do everything a stock coat can. No difference except length of coat.

Dont base your decision on length of coat or price though, base it on the temperament of the dog, first and foremost.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Seconding what Katie said, as I also have a coatie. They are NOT belgians, they are German Shepherds. The long coat gene is recessive and not desired by several breeders that choose to try to breed to the breed standard. LCs are becoming more accepted in Germany yes, but here they are still not. Not all breeders charge less for coaties.

Also, about grooming. Mine shed a TON when she blew puppy/winter coat at the same time, but after that there is little to no hair. I read somewhere that they may shed less but I am not sure how true that is. I brush her every couple days and barely any hair comes off now that the winter coat is gone, and during the winter no hair came out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe they are no longer considered a fault in Germany.
Just spoke with my German trainer here in Germany and in the last year long hair GSD are no longer considered faults and are accepted at shows.

I love my big furry beast. When I brush him once or twice a week he doesn't seem to give up much hair. I also thought I'd have a wicked time with the season change and coat blow but it wasn't bad. According to my groomer she said he didn't lose much hair when she had him in the salon a few weeks ago. When I pet him I don't get a handful of hair like I do with some short haired dogs, the Corners in my house collect little wookies if I don't sweep twice a week though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
The SV reversed itself. A LC GSD is not any different in conformation than a Balinese cat is to a Siamese. Same breed but one has the genes to produce a long coat. Which shouldn't be a fault any more than color. I have a stock coat and can only imagine how stunning she would appear if she was a LC GSD.

Just spoke with my German trainer here in Germany and in the last year long hair GSD are no longer considered faults and are accepted at shows.

I love my big furry beast. When I brush him once or twice a week he doesn't seem to give up much hair. I also thought I'd have a wicked time with the season change and coat blow but it wasn't bad. According to my groomer she said he didn't lose much hair when she had him in the salon a few weeks ago. When I pet him I don't get a handful of hair like I do with some short haired dogs, the Corners in my house collect little wookies if I don't sweep twice a week though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Thats what I thought :) And you know what, I am going to be showing Berlin in an SV-type show over here in the US. So, I believe its only the AKC shows that long coats are not allowed in.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Because a LC is accepted in Germany, it does not change the standard. You can show in any AKC event with a LC, just not Conformation classes as the LC is not considered part of the standard.

Grooming the LC does take a bit more time as obviously they have longer hair. But I don't believe they shed any more or less than a standard coated dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts