German Shepherds Forum banner

Stand and Back

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  KaiserAus 
#1 ·
Needing some help with Stand and Back. When trying to get her to back she backs and runs. Stand she just looks at me like I'm crazy, tried putting the leash under her belly and she turns into a fish flopping around on the bank. Help please.

#3 · (Edited)
We taught Inga to Stand from a Sit or a Down by saying Stand and lifting her into position, then praise. It didn't take long to teach, like a day. Then we added the hand signal to stand, which is a palm up hand and a lifting motion with the hand. She sits, down, stands, downs, sits, stands, comes at a gallop then waits in mid flight from an eighth of a mile off with hand signals. Its really fun. Back I have not taught her yet.

#4 ·
Reactions: Bramble
#6 ·
Stand is pretty simple.The dog is sitting at heel,left hand pulls him gently forward by his collar,right hand in front of his nose that you move away as you take a step forward.He'll follow you and take a step forward along with you.Left hand goes quickly under his belly so he won't do the automatic sit.Stand!(The right hand moving horizontally away from his nose is our hand signal).
Then it's just distance,duration,and practising the stand in motion,etc.Never had need to teach back so maybe the above links will help.Good luck!

#7 ·
Micheal Ellis on the Leerburg.com site teaches a really nice stand from a sit. Pretty easy. Take the treat and right below the dogs nose,not so low as to coax a down, move it toward the collar area..straight back. They will almost always pop right up. His training with food DVD/Streaming video is a super way to train, I think.

#11 ·
I don't think you need a kick back stand for rally. I taught my old girl to stand kind of like Dogma said, and I see a lot of people do it that way with the hand in front of the face.

I taught the kick back to my boy, front feet remain stationary. It was not as easy for him as some dogs, I have practiced the maneuver on short bodied dogs and they seem to get it like that. My boy is super long and did not respond quite the same but we did get it eventually.

#13 ·
I think I am remembering signals from ASCA rally? I'll have to go back and check. I have a friend who competes in asca and she is trying to get me to defect to her org so we can trial together. ASCA has better ribbons than my venue so I might lol!!

Anyway I know I saw turn face the dog and do signals and think it might have been asca masters level.

#16 · (Edited)
We started Rally about a year ago and I was pretty excited as Samantha took to it very quickly. She doesn’t do anything slowly. It often hard for me to move fast enough for her to match my speed. Anyway afte a couple of months of waiting 30-45 minutes to make a run through and maybe a second one then another half hour to do it again, I got tired of it. The only real “training” or help was given when an error was made. Going from novice to advanced was up to you to interpret the rules and exercises. Yes I understand this is the case but sometimes it’s difficult to really understand the rules and really how to put it together for great performances.

We already had almost all of the moves in our obedience program so it wasn’t hard to string them together. So we left the program.

We already have a stand, sit or down from any previous position. So that part was pretty easy. I added a backup command a long time ago. This can be done from heel on either side, actually we practice this every obedience class when we arrive. Sam can backup heel all the way across the ring. I often use this to get her to sharply focus on me. She can do this in a continuous motion or step by step. I use one word voice commands. Initially I use hand and voice commands together then dropped one or the other. I rarely use her name. This is really a marker or attention getter. It means there is another command coming. It’s an attention getter if she is slightly distracted.

This comes from my time in the SCH sport years ago. There you cannot use the dogs name with a command nor for encouragement. It’s considered a double command and points are deducted. I still use some German commands too as they are very clear and distinctly different from each other. We don’t even use a heel verbal command anymore. Heel is determined by which foot I lead off with. Left foot means start moving and right foot means stay where you are....don’t move. For pivots Sam follows my move be it to the left or right.

This takes practice and developing a bond and focus.on you. I use various value treats. I mix very high value rewards with lower value ones so she is always looking for the reward for correctness.

#19 ·
I've been teaching Backup in the hallway where there is no space to turn around... just 3 or 4 steps and then praise and a treat.

Stand I first taught from a heel in motion... with the hand in front of the nose, so he'd walk into my hand and have to stop, now he knows the word and the signal he can do it from any position. We are now practising "stand" when he is in heel and he has to stop and I just continue walking... he has to stay in his "stand" until I call him to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.