German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you buy your dog tags from? My dogs have a tag with name address and phone #, microchip tag with their microchip # and phone number for home again recovery service, and rabies tag.

I have them in the above order, and after a couple years I always have to replace the microchip tag because it wears down so far you can't read the engraving any longer. Not to mention replacing the address tags constantly from moving! I've seen "stamped" tags before that guarantee to not wear off the way engravings can. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally Posted By: 2SableGirlsBest ever tags!

http://www.boomerangtags.com/
Yep ~ all my dogs and cats wear tags from Boomerang. Mine have the colored plastic disks which can be engraved on both sides and I am happy with them.

I put name, address and phone info on one side and my vet name, phone # and "microchipped" on the back.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I usually get mine at the surplus store outside of base, which makes them right then and there and gives me the option to get just one, rather than a set.

When I order tags (or name tapes) online, I get them from http://www.1800nametape.com. They have super prices and really fast service. I had some name tapes made by them to sew onto nylon collars and they offer tons of color options, too.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Historian said:
I usually get mine at the surplus store outside of base, which makes them right then and there and gives me the option to get just one, rather than a set.

When I order tags (or name tapes) online, I get them from http://www.1800nametape.com. They have super prices and really fast service. I had some name tapes made by them to sew onto nylon collars and they offer tons of color options, too. [/quote

Nice link, those military name tapes would look great sewn onto a Nylon dog collar.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
The name tags I ordered from them are black with yellow/gold thread and I put them on black nylon collars. They look awesome. You have to have a pretty strong sewing machine to get them sewn on, or have it done professionally, though.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally Posted By: HistorianThe name tags I ordered from them are black with yellow/gold thread and I put them on black nylon collars. They look awesome. You have to have a pretty strong sewing machine to get them sewn on, or have it done professionally, though.
Thanks, we have a tailor here that also repairs Canvas tarps. should be able to sew through Nylon collars. I see that they also sell name tapes with Velcro which should also work.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Another vote for Boomerang Tags! I have them for all my pets and they are really nice looking and good quality. My favorite is the "Collar Tags" which slide on the collar. All my cats wear those so they have nothing hanging from their collars that might snag, and I just ordered one for Bianca's new collar. I also have a few of their plastic tags and they are very good quality as well. I had one made with one of my dogs' microchip tag information on it because the tag that came with the microchip was very flimsy. I had another (red plastic) made with DEAF DOG in large letters on one side and info on the other for my terrier Pooch after he lost his hearing.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Historian, I'm a little confused by that site. I looked at fabric name tapes, nylon name tapes, and through law enforcement. Do you know if you can get custom sizing? 2 inches wide instead of 1 inch for example. All I saw was 1 inch width. The velcro patches that were used on the patrol harness are these http://www.allk-9.com/identification-badges-nonreflective-p-554.html (the woman gave me the harness since it no longer fit her dog, I need to get my own velcro patches for it)

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Side note about tags...some friends of our own two dogs, and on both of their tags it says, "requires medication." They said their Vet in TN told them to put this on their dogs' tags in case their dogs got loose for some reason or something happened, and someone wanted to keep their dogs rather than turn them in...they might be dissuaded by keeping them. She said it also helps when someone says, "identify your dogs" or "identify their collars and tags." She can say, "it says 'requires medication' on their tag" as an identifier.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooooh thanks Southern! Thats a great idea, especially because Tessa DOES require medication, she has multiple eye drops daily including 2 different Rx only ones for her chronic dry eye.

That also reminds me of the story I just posted in the microchip thread about Logan. Logan had a disorder called Syndrome of Inappropriate Anti-Diuretic Hormone. It was controlled with water restriction rather than medication, but when he had a wild adventure one night he could have ended up with serious consequences had he spent the night with the woman that grabbed him instead of my getting him back (he didn't have his collar on because of an earlier bath, the woman said she was going to scan for a microchip in the morning.) Left to drink as much as he wanted would result in sodium level upset that could cause brain damage or death (he was diagnosed after his drinking led to a low sodium triggered seizure.)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistleSide note about tags...some friends of our own two dogs, and on both of their tags it says, "requires medication." They said their Vet in TN told them to put this on their dogs' tags in case their dogs got loose for some reason or something happened, and someone wanted to keep their dogs rather than turn them in...they might be dissuaded by keeping them. She said it also helps when someone says, "identify your dogs" or "identify their collars and tags." She can say, "it says 'requires medication' on their tag" as an identifier.
Sheba, my GSD who I had in the early 1980's actually did have epilepsy which I had engraved on her tag. If she ever got loose didn't want someone to pick her up then have her have a seizure and think she had rabies as she would stagger and froth at the mouth after seizing.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:Historian, I'm a little confused by that site. I looked at fabric name tapes, nylon name tapes, and through law enforcement. Do you know if you can get custom sizing?
I don't know whether they do custom sizing, but I have found that they are really good about answering questions - you can call or email them through the website and ask. As they primarily do name tapes, they may not do custom sizes, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistleSide note about tags...some friends of our own two dogs, and on both of their tags it says, "requires medication."
I almost put that on Bianca's new tag, but I decided to use the space to write that she was microchipped instead. I was also considering putting NEEDS SPECIAL DIET since she has allergies and that also might dissuade someone from keeping her.
Her current tag says "IF I'M ALONE, I'M LOST" on the first line and my cats tags say "LOST IF ALONE" (they are small so don't fit as many letters) so people will realize they are not outdoor cats and hopefully would be more likely to call me.

I got my terrier a tag from Boomerang Tags which said DEAF DOG in big letters on one side, and the other side said-
I AM DEAF
IF FOUND, PLEASE
DO NOT LET ME LOOSE!
HOLD & CALL MY OWNERS
(my phone number)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts