German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately zero has been stalking everything! ive never seen him do it before but hes been walking soooo slowly up to the cats and to my lab then he pounces. does anyone Else's dog do this? ll, ill try to get video soon!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wolfie loves to do this! He especially loves to stalk the seagulls on the beach and he's very good at it too! I wish I had some video of it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We had a tag on our first GSD puppy that used to make a tinkling sound when it dangled from his collar..so try as he might to sneak up...we always knew where he is

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a tag on our first GSD puppy that used to make a tinkling sound when it dangled from his collar..so try as he might to sneak up...we always knew where he is

haha i should do that! i wonder if he ever stalks me and i dont know it lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dogs stalk each other in play all the time. They also stalk prey animals (squirrels mostly).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca usually only stalks wild animals. I always have to laugh at her because she moves sooooo slooooowwwllly when she does it, she practically doesn't move at all! I'll also try to get some video next time we go to the park where there are lots of squirrels.

I like it because instead of trying to give chase and dragging me along if she sees a critter, she stops in her tracks and then ever so slowly tries to sneak up on it. She's slow and careful enough that she probably could actually catch one if I would let her (especially the rabbits which freeze and don't move as she sneaks up on them), but eventually I get tired of it and tell her "leave it" so we can keep walking.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The neighbors have a poodle/chihuahua mix (odd dog...
doesnt look like a poodle or chihuahua) and Abby stalks
it all the time. She crouches down and creeps forward
like a cat. She doesnt pounce on it though. Just tries
to sneak up on it.

They play together well...after Abby tries to sneak up
on it. Funny thing though...she only does it to this particular dog.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Timber does it to cats, dogs, moving leaves......you name it. He doest pounce though. If its the cats, he'll actually lunge instead of pouncing. But when he's super excited about something, he'll start that low creeping and then as he gets super close, he actually lays downand puts his head lower. If you look at his paws/claws, they are actually dug into the ground ready to pounce.
Maybe thats why he likes the cats so much. I think he may like to be one!!!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca doesn't crouch down really when she stalks. She just lowers her head a little. Maybe she realizes that there's no point trying to crouch down and hide when you're on a flat open surface!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts