German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I saw that this question was asked a few years ago, but I’ve appreciated all of the advice I’ve received from current members... so I’m re-asking the question. At what age is it okay to introduce stairs to a puppy? I’ve read some opinions stating that stairs shouldn’t be introduced until you can no longer carry your pup. Runa is going on 10 weeks. She is confident climbing and going down concrete stairs and seems to enjoy it. She hesitates with hardwood and tile stairs so I carry her down those. She struggles a little going up, but she does make it about 50% of the time. Is it bad that I’ve been letting her climb and go down stairs?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm not entirely sure there is a precise answer to your question.

In my case for several reasons I had a baby gate on the stairs so my dog wasn't routinely going up or down stairs until about 6 months. It wasn't until about 1 year that she had free access to the upstairs.

I regret not putting more effort into varying surfaces when she was a puppy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We had no choice; he figured them out himself by about 10 weeks. I just make sure he doesn’t race up and down them. My backyard is only accessible by stairs and he was getting too heavy to carry plus to wriggly when he really needed to go. He’s not allowed upstairs or in the basement unsupervised although I’d like to kill my son for getting him to go to the basement. Django was perfectly happy to sit at the top step. All our stairs are hardwood and the deck steps are rough wood.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Our current puppy is 11 weeks old, and he goes up and down 3 steps to the potty area by himself and about 9 steps into the big yard play area when he wants to. Sometimes he doesn’t want to go down the longer staircase, and he sits down and waits for me to pick him up.

Inside the house he usually goes up the stairs by himself at night (always supervised) when the entire pack goes to bed.

I used to carry all my puppies up and down the stairs at all times until they became too heavy, but I’m a bit more relaxed now. My new puppy doesn’t overdo it and is pretty good at signaling when he wants to be carried instead, which is why I’m not as obsessive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for helping me feel better! I’m trying to introduce her to as many things as possible!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I let them go up stairs as as soon as they are confident in doing so. Go up behind them and down in front of them, just watch the jumping off the bottom steps and don't stress the puppy stuff.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Juno learned going up the stairs pretty much as soon as I got her (about 3 months). I waited until 4 months for descending on my deck, where the stairs are not as slippery as inside the house, which I think we tackled at 5 months.

I was probably overly cautious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts