German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I don't have a dog yet but am actively researching different breeds for me. The apartment that I plan on moving into will likely be on either the second or third floor. Which would mean going up and down stairs multiple times a day. I know the larger the dog the more likely they are susceptible to Hip Dysplasia. Would stairs be a problem for most GSD?

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Not unless there is a health problem, such as HD.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is Hip Dysplasia regulary checked by vets or is that something I would have to ask for?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I will never own a 2 story house because of my GSD. I just cant bare the thought of him not being able to get up the stairs to come sleep with me. :(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
unless the dog has hip troubles or back troubles it shouldnt be an issue. Vets wont check specifically for hips problems. They will check the mobility and such during a standard physical exam but you cant determine without xrays whether a dog has HD. Zena was already in obvious stages of HD when we adopted her. She gets sore and stiff and bunny hops when she runs (doesnt stop her from being FAST!) but we had to keep a close eye on her for signs of pain and slowing down. Now she's living with my inlaws andmy MIL has her on all kinds of drugs for pain, allergies and whatever else. But Zena wouldnt go up stairs at first. She was actually afraid because she could see through the space between the steps. Lots of training and positive encouragement and carrying a 85lb dog up the stairs every now and then and she was racing up and down the stairs in no time. Her hips will cause her to move a little slower but keeping her calm and relaxed was occassionally difficult to do. As long as the dog is healthy, stairs shouldnt be a problem.

also, think of stairs as another exercise for the dog.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Is Hip Dysplasia regulary checked by vets or is that something I would have to ask for?
You would need to take the dog in for xrays. An xray is the ONLY way to determine if there is HD. However, not all symptoms that are attributed to HD, mean the problem is HD. Such as bunny hopping, getting 'tired' shortly into exercise, etc.

My girl has had xrays done. One vet said mild HD and she may need surgery someday. The other vet said she would OFA fair and he's seen worse. Someone on here, a breeder, suggested I look into back problems so I took her to a chiropractor. She was good as gold after that.

You can request xrays for a couple hundred dollars. If there aren't any symptoms, then I wouldn't bother with xrays. I would highly suggest supplementing with fish oil, vit e, vit c regardless.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
When you get your dog speutered, that's a good time to request x-rays of hips and elbows since he/she will be under anesthesia anyway. Unless you have a dog who is getting lame or having difficulty standing up or has range of motion limitation, in which case you might have a more serious problem and should get x-rays sooner (this happened to Rosa who had a THR at one year old).

The only issue with stairs in a healthy dog is that they not be slippery. You may want to find a place that has carpeted stairs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unless the dog has hip troubles or back troubles it shouldnt be an issue. Vets wont check specifically for hips problems. They will check the mobility and such during a standard physical exam but you cant determine without xrays whether a dog has HD. Zena was already in obvious stages of HD when we adopted her. She gets sore and stiff and bunny hops when she runs (doesnt stop her from being FAST!) but we had to keep a close eye on her for signs of pain and slowing down. Now she's living with my inlaws andmy MIL has her on all kinds of drugs for pain, allergies and whatever else. But Zena wouldnt go up stairs at first. She was actually afraid because she could see through the space between the steps. Lots of training and positive encouragement and carrying a 85lb dog up the stairs every now and then and she was racing up and down the stairs in no time. Her hips will cause her to move a little slower but keeping her calm and relaxed was occassionally difficult to do. As long as the dog is healthy, stairs shouldnt be a problem.

>>>>>>also, think of stairs as another exercise for the dog.<<<<<< :D:D
:D..

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
As some of you know I don't have a dog yet but am actively researching different breeds for me. The apartment that I plan on moving into will likely be on either the second or third floor. Which would mean going up and down stairs multiple times a day. I know the larger the dog the more likely they are susceptible to Hip Dysplasia. Would stairs be a problem for most GSD?
They shouldn't be. My two 13 year old GSDs can still do stairs, although one of them need some help getting up them now. If your question is will stairs cause hip dysplasia, the answer is no.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I live in a 3 story townhouse and have not had any problems with stairs with any of my dogs. I agree that if the dog has hip problems its not a good idea but you won't know until you get him/her xrayed. It gave me piece of mind that Brodys parents and their lines all had excellent hips from their OFA scores.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
When my previous GSD was 12, he had no problem doing stairs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They shouldn't be. My two 13 year old GSDs can still do stairs, although one of them need some help getting up them now. If your question is will stairs cause hip dysplasia, the answer is no.
I wasn't asking that but I probably would have sometime or another! lol But that is go to know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I wasn't asking that but I probably would have sometime or another! lol But that is go to know. Thanks
I wasn't sure :)

There are always things which can happen that cause dogs to have stair issues - arthritis in old age, injuries, joint problems, surgeries. For these situations an upper floor apartment can be tricky but not impossible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wasn't sure :)

There are always things which can happen that cause dogs to have stair issues - arthritis in old age, injuries, joint problems, surgeries. For these situations an upper floor apartment can be tricky but not impossible.
Its good to know that if Hip Dysplasia happens that I'll have options other than moving! lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts