German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm new here so sorry if I do something wrong but I'm rather... bamboozled.
I own a biothane collar and leash, and absolutely love them! But after today's walk, the collar got visibly stained and I can't... clean it?
Biothane's whole thing is that you swish it in water and it's clean so I have no idea what's going on. Leash, even though it usually drags on pavement, is all covered in mud, is being stepped on etc, after some gentle cleaning is all as new, but the collar which rested on my doggo's neck the whole time somehow isn't fine anymore? (she didn't even roll in anything, just normal chill walk today).
Does anyone know what's going on and hopefully, how to clean it? (tried dish soap, rubbing alcohol, butter and some magic sponge, nothing worked)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm guessing whatever the substance is, it has stained your collar. One of my collars has a permanent (I guess ink stain) that can't be removed. Also, I've learned not to leave knots in my biothane long line. My first long line failed, separated, after 4 years of use, where I'd permanently knotted it for grip in wet conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm guessing whatever the substance is, it has stained your collar. One of my collars has a permanent (I guess ink stain) that can't be removed. Also, I've learned not to leave knots in my biothane long line. My first long line failed, separated, after 4 years of use, where I'd permanently knotted it for grip in wet conditions.
Awh too bad, it's brand new collar rip. I am kinda frustrated since I have no idea what it can even be to stain it like that, but oh well, guess we'll never know. (Tho I really wish I knew, to prevent it in the future).
And thanks for the warning with the line - my mentioned leash is also very long, and maybe it's not the line/rope type - but I'll still try not knotting it either lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,475 Posts
Perhaps the manufacturer has some additional cleaning suggestions? I’d likely contact them either way... a replacement could be in your future if they’re that type of company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps the manufacturer has some additional cleaning suggestions? I’d likely contact them either way... a replacement could be in your future if they’re that type of company.
I contacted biothane company out of curiosity to find out if they indeed have some cleaning methods for things like that, but all they said that it's rare for anything to stain it and that if I try using any chemicals besides soap I should remember to rinse it thoroughly.
I also contacted the person/company that I bought the collar (and leash) from but they haven't responded yet (it's middle of the night here, so it's understandable). I doubt I'll have it replaced because it did come to me in perfect condition, it's not their fault.
At this point, I'd just love to know what substance it could possibly be (because I have like NO idea) to, as I said, prevent it with other products.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Give liquid dish soap (undiluted) a try, and/or cooking oil, rub in & see if the stain comes off--cheap and worth a try. I use cooking oil to remove pine tar from fur and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You could try bleach.. I used it to clean off some PVC pipe (which I believe biothane is coated with) and it worked well. Just had to scrub a decent amount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Give liquid dish soap (undiluted) a try, and/or cooking oil, rub in & see if the stain comes off--cheap and worth a try. I use cooking oil to remove pine tar from fur and it works like a charm.
I tried butter since it's recommended for grease but it didn't work either, so idk if cooking oil would work any better huh (I will try it for pine tar for fur tho, we do have this problem more often than not xD)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could try bleach.. I used it to clean off some PVC pipe (which I believe biothane is coated with) and it worked well. Just had to scrub a decent amount.
We don't have bleach sadly oof (I know it's very popular in US for a lot of things but here... not really. I tried one for fabrics, also didn't work).
I gave it a try with nail polish remover and it was a failure too. I think I'm officially giving up, also to not damage the surface/material any more (I might've already overdone it a little).

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
How about good old baking soda and water. Just let it soak for a bit. Here in the USA we use it to remove stains from plastics etc. It will take tomato sauce and tea stains from plastics. Worth a try given it isn't a harsh chemical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about good old baking soda and water. Just let it soak for a bit. Here in the USA we use it to remove stains from plastics etc. It will take tomato sauce and tea stains from plastics. Worth a try given it isn't a harsh chemical.
Oh we use it for everything here too; didn't work tho

1 - 11 of 11 Posts