German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little guy hasn't gained any weight in a month and he just turned 7 months yesterday. It also doesn't look like he has grown any taller either. We feed him 2lbs of raw a day. Ca/ph ratio is about 1.11:1, protein/fat ratio is about 1.5:1, and 15% bone, 15% organ/liver, 15% veggies/fruits and 55% MM. He weighs 45lbs per his vet visit today. He looks healthy - lean and athletic. You can see some outline of his ribs but not too much. We've been careful not to overfeed.

We are going to start feeding him 2.5lbs / day. Seems a little disconcerting that our pup hasn't grown in a month...

Curious to know if anyone has any insight or if this may be more normal than it seems?

Note: we know that many BARF diets have 80% MM, 10% bone, 10% organ, but through all the research we've done, there seems to be a range for each of those categories and we trust the manufacturers of our raw food. They are local and specifically developed their balanced meals for larger breed dogs.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
FWIW, the puppies I’ve raised on raw instead of kibble tend to not really pack on the pounds, and they have all needed obscene amounts of food while growing. My now 4 year old male was eating about 3 lbs of raw around that age. His adult weight is 71 lbs. I’ve never been able to feed an intact, active male anywhere near the recommended 2-3% of their body weight and have them maintain weight, and they’ve all eaten over 4.5% of their body weight as puppies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d probably start with just upping the intake. This is a super awkward age for them, but raw will also promote a steady, even growth, so he’s probably just following that trend if he’s otherwise doing well!
Thanks Alexis! That makes feel alot better. He's doing really great so we'll just stick with upping his food intake and monitor more intentionally.

FWIW, the puppies I’ve raised on raw instead of kibble tend to not really pack on the pounds, and they have all needed obscene amounts of food while growing. My now 4 year old male was eating about 3 lbs of raw around that age. His adult weight is 71 lbs. I’ve never been able to feed an intact, active male anywhere near the recommended 2-3% of their body weight and have them maintain weight, and they’ve all eaten over 4.5% of their body weight as puppies.
That's really really helpful advice. I haven't come across anything like that so far so I've been confused. I feel bad that we've been underfeeding him now :( Poor little guy.

Thanks for the responses. Y'all are life savers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I saw a growth chart that also showed how growth starts to level out after 5 or 6 months-- I was really worried b/c at that point Jett was underweight by a lot and was supposed to by 60% of his adult size. Well, he caught up, so it didn't apply to an underfed dog. But my main point is, growth does begin to slow down earlier than I thought. Could just be that is the point you're at. Here's the link (scroll down to charts; look at far right column): https://animalso.com/breeds/german-shepherd/weight-and-growth-chart/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts