German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been on here a little while now and looking at everybody's pictures I'm becoming curious about stacking and conformation. Does the dog stack on its own or is there a trick to convincing it to do so? I want to compare Dakoda's conformation to other pups her age, but I gotta get her to stack first. :confused: Of course if this will stress her out, then I won't do it. I am just curious. :help:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do!! It might take a while (probably a couple months), but I think that if I use that website and a couple pictures of stacking shepherds I can get her to try it out lol. Now, should the back always slope down or is that only angulation during stacking? Koda comes from working line parents (they aren't registered, but I know they are working) and has a very straight back. Her hindquarters are just slightly sloped down from where her withers are. Will that affect attempting to stack her?
Sorry for so many questions btw :p. I'm just very new to actually looking at the conformation and everything, and the akc's standard kind of confused me about this. Lol.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Have her hock that is back set perpendicular to the ground. In the pic I posted, the dogs hock is back a bit far but is almost straight up and down. It needed to be just a touch more forward.

The amount of slope is due to the angulation. I wouldn't try to do that by "over stacking" and pulling her hock too far back. That wouldn't be a correct presentation.

This dog has the further back hock pretty well perpendicular to the ground.

SG Jucan von Peroh pedigree information - German shepherd dog

·
Registered
338 Posts
GSDLoverr729 - Here's a stacked pic of my pup who is a similiar age to yours (a tiny bit older). He is from german show lines.

Time and patience is my biggest tip when teaching your dog to allow you to stack it. You'll probably be best with 3 people if possible, one to stack, one to photograph and the other to get the pups attention. This thread - http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/critique-my-dog/94556-how-stack.html - might also help show you how to stack.

They can stack on their own, it's natural for them to do but its so hard to catch it on camera at the right angle.

Here's an example of my first gsd self stacking

And current GSD self stacking at 10 weeks

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Stacking takes months to perfect. I've been working on Akbar's stacking since he was a baby. Here's a photo of him now at 11 months with all the hard work of perfecting his stack. :)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured it would take a while. I've noticed that when she wakes me up in the morning to take her outside she's stacking on her own. Maybe I should sleep with a camera :p

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright just wanted to check. I know my friend's shepherd is from show lines and he is a bit more sloped than Koda, so I thought maybe it changed the look of their stacks (even in the exact same position). Lol.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Never taught it, but random jager stack for food

1 - 18 of 18 Posts