German Shepherds Forum banner

Stacking Puppy - Sieger Show! Help needed

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  12Paws8Hoofs 
#1 ·
First I will say I am in the Cincinnati Ohio area and if there is anyone within a 2 Hour Drive of me that can help me with this I would be more than willing and glad to pay for your service and help!

I’m struggling with this part and yes I’ve watched videos but they all seem to be dogs who already know how. Lol. I’d like to see someone do it with a dog who is clueless and a handler who is too lol.

He is a very smart and forgiving puppy. He’s 5 months old. I’m just having a hard time here. He naturally has the pull/go command down good. Our show is coming up in a couple weeks.

After learning more about the whole show thing, I may regret having done this option but we will see. I have a handler who has handled many VA dogs. My boys siblings are doing great in the shows. They’re placing VP1. So, I got a little over eager, now Im stressed bc of the stack lol. The running part has me concerned as well. He will run fine, me? Lol.

Looking for possibly someone who can help me out in real life preferably! Willing to pay for time and willingness!

Thanks so much!

See less See more
#6 ·
When you go to post a reply you have three ways to include and image. If your photo is uploaded to another site you can click the small mountain icon at the top of the reply box, "Insert Image", and paste the URL into the box that pops up. You 2nd option is at the bottom of the reply box, Drag and Drop File Upload, this is for images that are on your computer, tablet, or phone. Just drag the image into the box that says "Drag Files Here To Attach" and the image(s) will be uploaded to you post. If you scroll down farther to Additional Options you can click "Manage Attachments" in the "Attach Files" section which will give you a pop up with the option to attach files that way by browsing your computer and selecting the image(s) you want.

Also I believe you need a certain number of posts in order to include an image in your posts. So if the above options don't show up, just make another post of two.

#4 ·
there is so much more to showing the movement than the "natural pull"

that might even work against you .
wait and see what happens to the "pull" when you have a dog running in
front of you and behind you.

then you have to control the movement -- in a walk , trot , not a pace and moving like some
dog in a weight dragging competition.

If the "pull" is useful for the evaluation in the ring for 5 minutes , for the once-in a while months apart Saturday ,
for a dog that may or may not place --- I would , instead, strongly suggest basic obedience , nice manners walking, that is NOT pulling.

The benefits are enjoyed for a much longer time.

there is no down in the show ring . Teach the dog to stand . You don't have to hand place the dog , the dog just needs to learn to stop and stand, not lie down, not sit.

have you done anything with showing the dentition? Is the dog okay to have someone close , to look at his teeth?

the judge doesn't need to get in there to lift the lips - you can show the teeth.

has the dog, if male, been made familiar with having his testicles checked?

the judge doesn't squeeze them . An open palm and let them rest to sense that both are descended.

why do you think the dog is "show" quality . Did the breeder indicate that the dog is show quality ?

can you go to the breeder to have them help you out?

showing is expensive , Entry fees, travel, accommodation .

unless the dog is good and can win , then all you are doing is paying to loose , paying for the "other"
dog to get more points .

since we can't see the dog , what is the background or pedigree

#5 ·
Hey Im so sorry!
It’s been a crazy few days and then I forgot I even posted this!

As for the natural pull, I mean that he likes to be out front, he’s not like gagging himself to pull me, well not like all the time, usually he just parades out front on a slightly taught leash. I was encouraged to promote this by others. His cue is “Go!”

My problem is stacking. He is perfectly comfortable with other people opening his mouth, placing his legs and feeling for testicles. He has been fairly well socialized in that respect. I have pretty much everyone I know taking their turns placing his legs and opening his mouth, lol.

If you’re saying all he has to do is really stand, then we should be ok. He stands fine. I taught him to sit and he was starting to pick up on lay down before I stopped. Now I never ask for a sit or down. He’s a very forgiving friendly guy, not overly friendly though, not mean or shy by any means. He keeps his cool, he’s confident. Rarely fearful.

He is a show line. His pedigree. His dad is the well known, VA1 Cash vom Arkanum, 9 time V1, IPO3/KKL. His mom is a SG2 (GSDCA-2016) Bad-Boll line. 3 of his siblings have already shown in SV shows, the one has been 3 time VP1. Two of the others were VP1 and VP2. I just haven’t shown mine yet. I have some chronic pain disabilities that make it harder for me to compete by running along side the ring as the owners do, so I’ve been slow to start, but I’ve found help and I’m headed to my first show soon.

I’m doing this merely for fun. If it’s not fun, I won’t do it again. No sense in that. I feel he’s a very nice put together puppy, he has great color pigmentation, dark red, rich black, nice croup & angulation, good head/expression and nice movement.

The goal when I got him was pet/therapy dog, but he’s just so promising in my opinion as well as others. I feel it would be a shame to not show him. I have the time, could be a cool new hobby. I used to show horses in my younger years, I miss that.

Once we finish the Sieger Show in Illinois in September, I will have a better idea on what my future is with him. Once he turns 1, I may go for his SG. Next is when I would go for his BH and IPO. Then of course hips/elbows at 2. I’m just going with baby steps. One thing at a time. I’m in no way a backyard breeder nor do I intend to be. I did a lot of research on this guy before purchasing and he’s turning out to be a great dog.

The issue is, were like the blind leading the blind. Lol. Yes, Im in contact with his breeder, as well as many others. I was just looking for possibly a trainer in my area, if anyone knew of one. The breeder and those I’m in contact with, live hours from me.

Thank you again!! Ohh and yes, obedience is a huge deal with me. Although he hasn’t been through official obedience, he’s a pretty well mannered pup for 5 months. I’ve had worse behaved adults lol.

#8 ·
" out front on a slightly taught leash. I was encouraged to promote this by others. His cue is “Go!"

just remember that pulling distorts the topline ! If the dog has a roach you are bringing attention to it.

when I was handling an entire class in the ring was stopped by the judge who kept yelling -loose leash --
Loose leash . When he didn't get it he stopped it .
You see the dogs motion in the walk and the trot . You want to see period of suspension - not legs
going underneath the dog like egg beaters.

If your dog has nice shoulder opening and reach then you exploit this - stand out and grab the judges eye .

#9 ·
Just think of it as a fun experience. I don't think the judges are always very hard on puppies that age. The last conformation show I went to I saw puppies trying to get at eachother to play inside the ring, plenty of dogs going potty in the ring, a dog getting loose and not listening when called for, etc. They're not always professionals in the ring.

#11 ·
Ok cool! That post seemed to show the picture. At least on my end it did? Can you see it? I’m sorry I don’t really have any good pictures of him in a stack bc I’m the only one who does it and supposedly I’m not doing it correctly, according to advice I got on how to fix it from breeder. However, Cash’s owner told me that the handler will do that, just to teach my boy to be ok being placed and staying there once placed. He gets lots of praise and love when I do that to him, so he knows it’s a fun good thing. We will see how he does st show with a bunch of people he doesn’t know and other dogs to see and play with. Lol.

I’m just keeping in mind this is for fun! I’m not competing I’m just doing this for experience right now. I plan on going to the Sieger show in Illinois and figure this would at least get us both used to it.

The photos I’m posting are from about 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.