Yippee!!!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
great news!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just read through this entire post and what an amazing rescue story!
Robert, you are Jack's angel!
How about another update? Would love to hear how Jack is doing.
Bless you for saving this wonderful boy!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I just read through this entire post and what an amazing rescue story!
Robert, you are Jack's angel!
How about another update? Would love to hear how Jack is doing.
Bless you for saving this wonderful boy!
Update: 7/14/2011

Sorry so long in providing one. Jack is now over 60 days with no seizures. He did have to be bumped up a bit in his phenobarb dosages and that seems to have helped - He is 85lbs now. His last set of seizures was on April 10, 2011. And of course it is always Grand Mal and 5 in a day. We brought it under control as much as possible and extended the duration between most of the seizures. However 5 seems to be the magic number. After the 5 in a 24 hour period he stops.

We have him on Pinnacle Grain Free Salmon mixed with Pedigree with Chopped Beef. Thus far he has done very well with his eating schedule. And even the other day I had run out of can food at night....so I just pulled a chicken out of freezer, ground up the next morning and added some of the Kibble to get through the day. And he was fine. Next day back to his regular eating schedule. I still hand feed him. He is very patient BUT on a schedule for eating. As long as I get up he doesn't try to lick my feet or push on my feet with his nose or leg to try and get me out of bed. He goes outside, does his business, and then comes in and lays down facing the Kitchen knowing food is on its way! He also prefers to have Angeles try the food first before he eats. Not sure where he gets that from but he likes the other dogs to sit around him while he eats and you can tell he wants me to share with them. What a BIG HEART! After eating he gets a chew bone. He loves feeding time.

He continues to improve day by day. His ears are up more. He demands more attention. He smiles big when he runs and when he comes to you for hugs and neck rubs. He still is not used to the whole brushing thing and he has been shedding a lot as the temps have been so crazy. His poor coat doesn't know what to do! Other than the undercoat shedding his coat is so soft and smooth. Some days he doesn't mind if I cut his toenails, and others here lately he is a bit more pushy about "nope -not going to happen!" and he gets up and walks away. So I do what I can with him when I can...trying to keep stress levels down. As well, as lightening storms hit, I keep the drapes closed and turn up the tv to something light and funny or turn on New Age music channel on DirecTV....very calming.

He still will not get near a leash. I have to admit, I've not been so good at even trying to get him to use it, primarly because he appears only to feel safe in the backyard and in the house. He prefers NOT to just sit on the porch. He is back at the door like "Let me in! Let me in!" So I'm not overly worried. He comes when I call - no training needed there. He is learning that when I tell him to go lay down, if I'm direct and don't baby talk with him, then he goes and lays down. He came with some smarts that is for sure!

I can't believe this poor guy was left the way he was. While I truly don't know the situation, I've often wondered if he was seizing while in the wild. But he certainly was abused and neglected as he was completey shut down when I first picked him up. How scary that must have been for him to have seizures and no place to call home. He was found as a stray.

He loves Angeles (pronounced Ann-gel-us) to death. Loves to run after him, behind him, etc.... and even tries to engage play time. Unfortunately, Angeles only has eyes for me 99% of the time. He couldn't be bothered. But that other 1% when he believes I'm not watching he will play with Jack. I bet over the years that might increase more. It's just Angeles was with me alone in NC for almost 7 months (just a few trips up North with him and back). So he is used to his play buddy being me.

Hope all is doing well. I'm getting back to work now. Best to everyone.

Robert

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Robert that is great news! sounds like Jack is really coming out of his shell, even if he's not anxious to be alone. I really wish we knew exactly what happened to him. I'm just so glad and excited to know he's not the totally shut down refusing to budge in the backseat of the car, much less getting out of the car dog we both saw that night. I bet he's thrilled to be somewhere that he's loved. Give Handsome Jack a big hug for me. I'm really happy things are working out for him.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Wonderful news!!!! I hope he continues to thrive! I teared up when I read your update-happy tears though. I'm so happy for him.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Great news Robert! Thank you for letting us know the latest. Jack is exactly where he needs to be, he is one lucky fellow to have found you. Best always to you both (and to Angeles, can't leave him out!)

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Your welcome! just felt bad for not updating yall sooner!

@KZoppa - I am amazed from day 1 to today. I still remember that night when he just wouldn't get out of my car even for the McDonald's chicken sandwich! I'm still thankful you were willing to take a chance on him otherwise the original transport purpose may never have gotten setup.

To all those involved in this rescue (not just me!) from the original post to just getting the information out there and making calls - Thank you for giving me a new really Kool pup around the house. He is just oozing with love. I may be his Angel now, but he had LOTS of Angels looking out for him just trying to give him a chance...so you all deserve a HUGE THANK YOU from me and from him. Jack sends a smile and kiss your way.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Jack continues to do well. Still no seiuzres since April 10. He is starting to engage Angeles when we play cach in the house....I need to setup a video camera when they are donig that so I can capture it. Somehow I need to convince Angeles that Jack is fun to play with - alas he still wants his humans to play.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
The beat goes on.......... So happy the news is still good!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol I'm sure Angeles will eventually play with him. Jack's a fighter... he'll figure out how to win that one i'm sure. Give Jack some hugs for me.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Both jack and Angeles are almost finished with boot camp at neuman's k9 in Hugo mn. Jacks favorite past time is the treadmill. Sorry been around. My partner died in March. So updates have been put on hold. I'm very proud to see how well jack has progressed. They both come home on June 23.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Robert, i'm sorry to hear about your partner.

Glad to hear the pups are doing well. Post pics of handsome jack when you're able!!!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
always good to hear news of jack!!! he's sure one of the lucky ones!!!

and i'm so sorry for your loss. take care.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Another wonderful inspiring epic rescue story am glad to see it was a very happy ending

Robert am so sorry for your loss. I hope Jack and Angeles are a great comfort to you. They are beautiful thank you for sharing the pictures and for saving Jack

181 - 200 of 209 Posts