German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Thanks for helping this guy. KZoppa - are you fostering or adopting? Wasn't sure from the posts. Or is he going to rescue? He's a gorgeous boy...

· Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm so sorry about Jack's seizure. Poor guy... Robert, just something to keep in the back of your mind. Are you familiar with the MDR1 gene in GSDs? I was aware of it, but found out the hard way with my Sammy. He tested positive for the gene after a bad reaction to Ivermectin. Doesn't happen a lot in GSDs, but it does happen. Here's a link for you to read:

Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab at the College of Veterinary Medicine

There is also a complete list of the drugs at:

www.busteralert.org

Depending on what all he was given yesterday (and I would be particiularly concerned if they gave him a large dose of Ivermectin), seizures can occur. Severe reactions occur almost immediately, but like in Sammy's case, it was about three days later that he became very unstable on his feet and very lethargic. Thankfully, Sammy experienced only subacute symptoms. He was flushed with fluids for three days and the rest of it was up to his body to come back when it could. It can take days or weeks sometimes.

Just be aware in case you start to see more severe symptoms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.