German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed some here didn't know what these were... It's mostly bulldog people who use them. But all breeds, especially those with prey and toy drive, can really enjoy them.

The Springpole...

Can be made easily... If you want to go cheap, a couple of good springs and rope hung over a tree branch is all you need. Or, you can build a frame and be more professional about building it... It can be low enough that the dog's feet are on the ground at all times, or high enough that to dog has to jump and hang from it, it depends on what the DOG likes.

It's really best NOT to work more than one dog on a SP at a time, if one bites the other by accident you could have a fight, or an injured dog...

Here's my CHEAP version being used, it was basically a rubber bungee, very well secured so it couldn't snap and hurt her, attacked to rope and a tree branch.
You can see how it bounces back, and makes it more fun for the dog. Sorry for the terrible video.

Springpoles are meant to be hung vertically, but I attach J's very cheap version to a vertical pole sometimes, making it horizontal for him to tug on.

The Flirtpole...

Basically a pole, some length of rope, and a toy.
You can make on with PVC pipe, a light broom handle, anything durable and light, anywhere from 3'-6' long, depending on the room you have and your preferences.

You attach the rope well to the end of your chosen pole, you can drill a hole to slip the rope through if there is not existing hole.

On the other end of the rope, tie something the dog can grab and chase. Cow hide, old rags, their favorite soft toy. It has to be soft, if there is something hard it could hurt the dog by bouncing up and hitting their face, or busting lips when they go to grab it.

Cow hide is a preference... It's great for dogs with high prey drive, and it lasts for a while...

Here is J, many months ago, as a pup using the Flirt with my niece (who was obviously too short)

you can read a lot more here, on construction, how to use ect.
Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

They are both GREAT for people with small yards... Can't play a good game of fetch in a 20'/20' backyard.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have been thinking of using one of these for Bella the only thing stoping me is. I'm worried about how much prey drive it gives. I knw it sounds stupid but let me expain a bit. We have 5 kittys and Bella likes to bark and if they run chaise the cats. Chance ran up a tree and Bella jumped up and almost had him by the butt. Game over she went in her kennel. Will one of these make her more likely to PLAY with the cats and more likely to chase them? Other wise she's and could give a hoot less

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know... My personal experience is it hasn't changed J's behavior, he's always had HIGH prey drive, if our little dog goes off running he chases right after her.

Now, my opinion, it might actually help by giving them a release. I could be dead wrong. But J is less interested in small animals on our walks if I'd worked him on the flirtpole for a while before we leave.

That's only one experience with that, though, and every dog is an individual.

Though you could say the same for playing fetch, for letting them use squeaky toys. Both simulate prey.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have one for Josie, she loves it!. Honestly even though she plays with the flirt pole and loves to chase her ball she has never shown interest in chasing small critters. We have lots of wild rabbits around here and she showed no interest. Probably because her focus was mainly on me.

I agree with APBT though, each dog is in individual.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have 2 flirtpoles one with sheepskin and a leather..the other with a rag.. my dogs love it I use it for both shepherds and my 5 month old Malinois great exercise too...

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It makes keeping them in shape very easy... I am leery of walking J far in this neighborhood, so he gets his exercise from the flirt/fetch/springpole, and his mental exercise is doing training on our fairly short walks, and working on his behavior.

He is in pretty good shape @ 12 months..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ok so a wooden broom handle and How much rope 6 ft or what? Will a tug work? Or do I need something else?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so a wooden broom handle and How much rope 6 ft or what? Will a tug work? Or do I need something else?
Whatever works for you, it has to be short enough that you can have enough control over it to keep it away from the dog until you choose to let him have it... I think my rope is about 6'.

Like a tug rope? I had one on the end of mine, lasted a good while, it came apart and was even more fun then lol

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yep a tug roap I have 3 that are about 2ft long or so. I think she would love to bite on a sleve to as long as no one was wearing it and brandishing a whip lol she will chew or chase anything and thinks she knows how to do laundry. :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It sure does. How long do you work a first timer I don't wanna injure her.and how long after she eats. And what about water I don't want her to bloat. If my vet will do it and knows what I'm talking about ill see about attaching her stomach to her side like some one else is doing. And she defantaly needs more exersise and this looks fun for both of us THANK YOU for starting the thred and answering my ?s a tired puppy is a good puppy ;)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, I wouldn't work J for a couple of hours after eating to be safe, because it is very physical... He takes very short water breaks (maybe 1/4 cup) a few times if it's hot during exercise.

Bloat is nothing to mess with, I lost my big girl to bloat last month, it was horrid. Though she didn't do anything but eat and lay down to sleep...

I just let J play until he slows down. Same with fetch/springpole.

Here are a couple of dogs enjoying a flirtpole.

And some puppy cuteness...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
SHE LOVES IT. I have a very tired puppy who still wants to play. I got a broom handle 8 ft or so rope so I can make it longer or shorther. She has been running and chasing and snapping. I'm glad it quit raining so I could try it. She was trying to eat the pole and then the rope and every thing else before I can get it made. I worked her and Oliver for a good 20 min. She's quick too caught it half the time. Of course she don't know or wanna know drop cuz I have to pry the tug out of her mouth to get her to let go. :)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aww, I'm glad she and Oliver had fun. It's J's favorite toy, unless you throw his Chuckit ball lol

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I love the puppy video...it's like a puppy dumbell when he lifts them off the ground! Thank you for your information, I am going to try this for my Molly :)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've seen people use lunge whips for them, it works well.

Let me know how it goes, bianca.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This thread makes me happy. :) lol

I just made a flirt pole for Ruger the other day using 4ft of inch diameter PVC and 10ft of rope (what I did was actually run the rope through the PVC, so there's 6ft of actually "play line", but if I untie the rag on the end and switch how the rope is tied, I can have 10ft of line as well!). Ruger loves loves loves it, and so do I, because I can see how much fun he has chasing/playing with it. He's smart too! He keeps me on my toes as far as maneuvering goes, because he can switch directions on a dime!

Some video (only my second time using the pole, so I'm a bit clumsy--and I'm not a dwarf, but my boyfriend had the camera and he's 14 inches taller than I am, haha):

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isn't it fun?!

It is hard with shepherds, they're SO smart and quick, and J's herding comes into play, and he cuts it off faster than I can move it sometimes... Looks like Ruger had a blast.

·
Registered
40 Posts
after seeing this thread i made one of these for my gsd....he loves it! i think he would chase that thing until he dropped, we have to make him come inside to get a little water and cool off.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts