German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petfinder #2445 German Shep Female
Until petfinder and the shelter are working together right, this is all the information I have.

If you are a 501c3 rescue you can contact the facility directly or if you have your MO Dept. of Agriculture License but are not 501c3 you can contact Halfway Home Rescue, Latichia Duffy at [email protected] to have them tag a dog:

Email for rescues ONLY:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Login | Facebook

Springfield-Greene County Animal Control

Dogs that are not on stray hold can be PTS on Wednesday or Fridays. For any rescue or adopter that is wanting to have a dog tagged for them by Halfway Home Rescue, an email must be sent to Latichia Duffy by 9pm cst Tuesday or Thursday Night before the scheduled PTS days.

Animals in the "Currently Housed" are still on stray hold and not available for release until their 5 day hold is up. Once they are moved to the "Our Adoptable" list they are considered urgent!

If you would like to help sponsor a dog (please note the petfinder number of the dog you are sponsoring to):
ChipIn: Sponsorships for Springfield MO Pets

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Just look at that sad face!!! Hope someone can help!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aside from what looks like eye infections :( is there any way to know anything about her? Would need to know if gentle, good with kids, other dogs, etc. I'm not a rescue, but would absolutely be willing to either foster-to-adopt her (until I knew she was definitely okay with my son) or possibly straight adopt her if that wasn't an option - assuming I can get some decent idea on temperament and activity level etc? (And can GET her here!)

Anyone help or should I just call the rescue listed there?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
bump!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Aside from what looks like eye infections :( is there any way to know anything about her? Would need to know if gentle, good with kids, other dogs, etc. I'm not a rescue, but would absolutely be willing to either foster-to-adopt her (until I knew she was definitely okay with my son) or possibly straight adopt her if that wasn't an option - assuming I can get some decent idea on temperament and activity level etc? (And can GET her here!)

Anyone help or should I just call the rescue listed there?
Time is of the essence - I'd contact the local rescue that pulls from there immediately, no delay. Maybe they can do a behavioral assessment, maybe they can find you boarding and take her to a vet for you (you can offer to pay the vet directly, or donate to the rescue), or even have a foster.

If you bring her North, you can arrange for ground transportation or get help from Pilot N' Paws and other volunteer pilots who fly General Aviation planes, provided her ears are clear of infections and fit to fly.

Samba, a mod on this board, recently successfully rescued a GSD from this pound with the help of the local rescue group. This is the thread of this rescue with further information about the rescue group and pound:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-adult-f-b-t-rescue-stories-more-updates.html

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marissa, a member of this board, volunteers for Missouri German Shepherd Rescue and Midwest Dog Rescue Network in Omaha, NE. She might be able to help if you PM her.
But contacting the local rescue is the crucial first step, thank you for trying to help this dog!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just sent the e-mail off to Latichia, Hopefully she'll get it quickly. If anyone else has suggestions, please do lmk. This sad little girl's face breaks my heart. I want to be posting happy, healthy "after" pictures of her lounging on a couch and being mushed and loved...

Next step? Just wait, or contact the other members suggested now?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Okay she wrote back really quickly and said:

"We can't do temp test...we tag by photo back into the garage and they load dogs...sorry"

I can't commit to a dog without some idea of temperament - especially not with a young child in the house. What shall I do here? PM Marissa to hopefully temp test her? (I replied to Latichia, btw, and asked if I could find someone to temp test, would it be allowed - waiting for a response.)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I can more than likely get this dog flown ANYWHERE for next to nothing. My aunt lives in Springfield, MO and works for American Airlines. Let me know if I can do anything to help get this dog transported somewhere safe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Time is of the essence - I'd contact the local rescue that pulls from there immediately, no delay. Maybe they can do a behavioral assessment, maybe they can find you boarding and take her to a vet for you (you can offer to pay the vet directly, or donate to the rescue), or even have a foster.

If you bring her North, you can arrange for ground transportation or get help from Pilot N' Paws and other volunteer pilots who fly General Aviation planes, provided her ears are clear of infections and fit to fly.

Samba, a mod on this board, recently successfully rescued a GSD from this pound with the help of the local rescue group. This is the thread of this rescue with further information about the rescue group and pound:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-adult-f-b-t-rescue-stories-more-updates.html
Just saw this...this might be a better, less stressful option for this poor girl. I wish I could take her in...I think she is beautiful.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Are you guys anywhere with being able to pull her? I called the rescue people and they tagged and pulled my girl. We then met at Lowe's parking lot and transferred the dog to me for a fee. Sometimes the rescue people can at least look at the dog. They had seen my girl in there.

I still have my old girl that I got out of that heck hole of a place. She is so nice, I kept her. In fact, she was the bed dog last night.

Please let me know. At this point I have a lot of dogs and am not able to travel to Springfield easily but I might be able to help somehow.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Right now, I have the intial answer from Halfway Home saying that they can't temp test. No reply yet to my followup asking if I found someone who COULD temp test if they'd allow it.

I have a PM to Marissa asking, essentially, the same.

E-mailing now the other rescue mentioned in the thread linked to above - see if they can help. Will lyk when I get a reply there, too.

Nothing more than that at the moment. Not sure what else to do from here?

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you cannot find a rescue to do a temp test- or anyone to help this girl. I'll do what I can. I can fly up there and check her out to the best of my ability. I am on my aunt's flight benefits and can get there and back for $10. I work right next to DFW airport and can hop on the plane anytime and fly up there. I don't want this sweet girl to be PTS. There is just something about her...If we could find a Texas rescue to take her in...I could even foster her for a period of time. Would they release her to me? How much more time does she have? ...I just feel like I should help since I have the means to (flight benefits)...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow that's super nice of you, honestly. If I could just get some sense of temperament and how she reacts to a kid, you wouldn't have to even foster - I'd be fine taking her that way. I could probably get the original rescue to pull her and arrange boarding for the time until transport. They just won't temp test.

Waiting to hear back from the 2nd rescue, too.

Going to contact C.A.R.E.S., who supposedly works with this shelter too and see if they can help...

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I have friends at my Obedience club in Springfield who can help with an assessment if you want one after she gets out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks Samba! My only concern there would be if I adopt her long-distance and they arrange boarding for me while awaiting transport, what do I then do if a temp test shows a large problem that I can't do (like, let's say she's bad with kids)?
Jeez... there just has to be some way to get an idea of this stuff like now. I did leave a phone message for C.A.R.E.S. in Springfield, too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I suggest contacting both Missouri German Shepherd Rescue and Midwest Dog Rescue Network in Omaha, NE directly as well. Marissa might not get your PM in time. For logistic support, and as potential backup in case she isn't a good match for a family but otherwise adoptable. You can also bring her to NY state and board her there initially.

Some pounds won't let rescuers assess dogs, it's pull and take it from there.
This is a heart stick shelter.

Great support offers from members of this board. Samba, Katie, you rock!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
This is not a good shelter and I know with my girl it was pull and load. She is skipping all about here today though old and a bit grey. They are so happy when they get the save!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts