German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Very cool!
Their noses are truly amazing.
( My dog will sometimes suddenly ask to cross the street, and he'll thoroughly sniff a patch of grass there.
And I'm like, "You smelled that from the other side of the street??!" )

·
Super Moderator
4,729 Posts
bravo. Isn't it amazing working with your dog to find those trails and wisps and smells that completely allude us? It is almost like magic. Did anyone catch some video?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That is great!!! I have a deep interest in nosework. One of these days I will check it out. Looks like you had a great day, and Sabre is gorgeous!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bravo. Isn't it amazing working with your dog to find those trails and wisps and smells that completely allude us? It is almost like magic. Did anyone catch some video?
I should be getting some drone footage and a Go Pro video of some of the trails we worked. Once I get that, I'll upload it and post a link.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There was that article in the news...a little girl mysteriously disappeared...
not only did they eventually find her DNA (blood) in her stepdad's car, but two separate cadaver dogs alerted to scent in the car's trunk.

Busted...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you started working your pup yet?
I will be attempting IGP with my pup. Mostly, I've been working on his obedience. We have done a bit of tracking, and he was introduced to protection work. Recon should be good at this but his handler could be his biggest obstacle :) since I'm brand new to the sport.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got the drone footage, twice, but no Go Pro. Oh well... Since I'm rather new on this forum, and not quite sure how to do things, I posted it publicly on FB. Hoping that anyone who wants to see it will be able to copy & paste the link.

https://www.facebook.com/sheri.arnold.92/posts/2435484626495684

The first, short, video was at the start of a training trail. We were told that 3 people walked between the trees before splitting off. After providing the scent article to Sabre, I started walking her perpendicular to the trail so that she could select the proper odor to follow. As you can see, she is truly a trailing dog.

The second video was just over half way through our trail. Unfortunately, when kids are the trail-runners, they don't always go where they are told. The MT who was with me had me pull Sabre from the trail and take her back to a point because she wasn't following where her subject was supposed to walk. Although the drone didn't capture the end of the trail, Sabre again took me along the same route, before successfully locating the subject. This was one of those times when I neglected to heed "Trust your dog".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts