German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a spray bottle effective?
Several things i've tried recently for my 7 month old to not try and maul/attack our cats and none of them have worked. So I recently purchased 3 mini water spray bottles. One to keep on me and two around the house. Whenever a cat coems in and she gets that look and starts licking her lips i say, "Leave it" which she knows what it means.. And if she does just sit there i praise her. If she tries to run after it (i have her on a leash 24/7 unless in a room with no cats) and i spray her while saying "NO!" or "EH!" And so far it does seem to be effective. I am worried she will start not caring about having water sprayed in her face.. But we shall see.
I try not to associate the spray bottle with me. I try my best to keep it hidden. I just want her to associate chasing cats with something negative that isnt going to hurt her. And perhaps this will work.
Have you guys had any luck with using a spray bottle for negative behaviors?
What are the positives and negatives of it?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I have used it successfully on my cats :) For my dog, no, he loves water - will go right up to sprinklers and stick his face right in. I did have a cat when my Sting was a pup and yes, he wanted to chase. I kept him on his leash - so I could step on it when he wanted to chase after the cat. I would also say "no" and I would give him his bear toy to mouth. I also made sure the cat always had an escape route and when I couldn't watch my dog -he was either outside or in his crate. I did that from day one when he was 8 weeks old. Your pup is a lot older and you have more than one cat so maybe the spray bottle will work for you.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh thank you Mary Beth! I hope it does help!

·
Registered
457 Posts
It has worked well for my dog barking at other dogs when in the car driving by. Also when dogs or other animals are going by our house. she is allowed one alert bark at home to let me know what is there and then she must stop. No barking at dogs we drive by on the street. Nothing else was working and the spray bottle worked very well. I only had to spray her a couple of times and now she has stopped the barking. Did not work with my last gsd because she loved water.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I've used a spray bottle for a foster dog we had and it worked when nothing else did. He still loved water and it didn't affect him that way.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The Spray Bottle was a gift from heaven, lol. At this point, we don't even have to squirt, just picking up the bottle gets the dogs into an immediate sit and I don't think Finn has actually been squirted in over a year. Abi could care less about it, though. It doesn't phase her one bit, but it does stop her in her tracks long enough for redirection...she has some serious ADD.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have had the same experience as Shaolin, i don't even spray the bottle anymore. I just pick it up and my Aussie stops barking. I haven't tried it on my GSD since he doesn't really have any annoying habits. Well, he does eat poop, but I am not sure a spray bottle would correct that one.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
All I had to do was set the bottle on the table and Lakota behaved.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We were at our wits end with the barking and basically just not following a single command we had tried a shock collar...didn't work. Got a spray bottle and I swear therw has been such a difference in my 3 year old abd 7 month old gsd's. All I have to do is reach for it and they correct themselves.
Its magical!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
We are successful too with water spray to distract/interrupt them from doing the bad habit, then a firm command such as "no" or "stop" for them to learn what we really mean..

·
Registered
482 Posts
We used it for a while to stop some behaviors I dont know if it would work for the attacking of cats, Diesel thinks cats look like the tastiest food in the world. I have to make sure he has no way to get to them or he will eat them, and they of course are not afraid of him they just roll over and purrr... Who said cats were smarter than dogs?

But for any other non-prey drive type behaviors it has been great!

·
5,627 Posts
The problem is that the spray bottle works to stop a behavior when you are there and can show it to them but what have they really learned?

If you want to use it to interrupt a behavior that would be fine but then you need to tell/show the dog what they should be doing instead. Better yet would be to be proactive and set them up to succeed by showing them what to do before they ever get to practice the unwanted behavior.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts