German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Friday, my g/f was jumping on my neighbor's trampoline and she wanted to put our puppy, Rocky (5months old on sunday, about 52 lbs right now), on there and let him feel the surface. She didn't jump with him up there, just let him walk across it and feel the slight bounce.

What he actually did was just walk from one side to the other and jumped off. He didn't make a sound or anything of the like when he landed, and the rest of the night he was acting as his usual self. Two days later, in the afternoon, we took Rocky on a walk through a trail at our school. About halfway through the walk I noticed he had a slight limp, but by the end of the walk, he was more tired than usual.

When I got home, I checked his legs, paws, shoulders all around. I spread his toes out, checked in between each one, squeezed his bone between the elbow and wrist, and even from the elbow to the shoulder, and he does not flinch at all.

I did some research, and some signs are pointing to pano, but I'm still not sure. I've been giving him aspirin with his meals and 250mg of vitamin C during each meal. However, he still walks with a limp.

I would love to be able to take him to the vet, but being in college, I don't have a spare $400 just to go to the vet and tell me to keep doing the same thing I'm doing now.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I'd give more C ~ 500mg daily upping it to 2000mg over a weeks time, split between meals. And continue this along with Salmon oil(2000mg) and vitamin E(400iu) all human grade.
What are you feeding him?
If he injured or jambed a joint, you may be paying far more than $400 in the future.
I would see if you can get prelim x-rays done as soon as you can afford it(hips and elbows), research different vets in your area for the most experienced in positioning and the least expensive(experience would be more important than cost, IMO)
Not sure where you are but the price in MI is anywhere from $80 to $300+ depending on the vet, but the $80 is very experienced w/ positioning and reading the films.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm feeding him Blue LB, was about 4 cups a day, I have brought it down to about 3.25 cups. I'm not sure if I should go lower (One site suggested feeding a third of normal).

Sometimes he walks just fine, but if he is strolling, looking for a place to go potty, he walks with a slight limp. I'm curious, if pano, would aspirin stop the limp all together?

Also, I'll make some calls tomorrow and see what the prices are, I just know that the vet I went to for shots was EXPENSIVE!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I gave Ascriptin(coated aspirin) when Onyx had a real bad bout of Pano. But I didn't give the C which will reduce inflammation. Now I know better and when Karlo went thru a bout, his was not as long as I gave C daily. They were both rawfed, but large in structure.
If you can't feel ribs on Rocky, then reduce his amounts. As growth spurts are constant, I'd go by ribs vs the regimented amounts~ adjust as needed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His weight is healthy, I can feel his ribs. But even after the vitamins and aspirin, he is still walking with a limp. Is that normal? And how long did your dog go through it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have been going through this off & on with Jethro since July. It showed up at first in his right front leg & lasted a couple of weeks. When it came back after a few weeks I took him to the vet. An x-ray confirmed that it was pano. Now it he is on his 2nd go around with it in his left leg. Our vet gave us a prescription for tramadol, which seemed to help with his discomfort. Even with the ascripten our poor boy would lay on the floor and let out whines & moans from the pain. Its not permanent, but we'll be glad when he has outgrown it!! Hope your puppy has a short run of it - good luck!
Jim

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
My first GSD had pano at 4 months. Just took some time, anti-inflammatory meds and limiting hard play/exercise for a couple months and then he was fine. Sometimes they grow so fast it puts a strain on their body. He recovered fully. Best wishes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it has been two weeks since I've gone to the vet and got him looked at. The vet said he could have torn a ligament, have OCD, or sprained a muscle in his leg. But he said since he had to bend his leg every-which way to get him to start limping, he didn't think it was necessary to get an immediate x-ray. He gave me some Deramaxx to give once a day. So I've been doing the best I can to keep still as much as possible, but there have been a couple of times when he has run for short distances (like 5 second bursts).

Even though he hasn't had much activity, he still sometimes limp, and I'm starting to think I am going to have to get the x-ray done. However, I am wondering should I go back to the same vet, or should I find an ortho vet, and take him there? If I should take him to an ortho vet, what is the site that lists the vets?

Also, can anyone recommend some tips to keep my dog calm/busy throughout the day/night, such as toys, or games I can play with him that wont hurt his leg anymore than it already does.

Also, here are some pictures of him when he was little and now (I don't think I've ever posted any of him yet)

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it has been awhile for this thread, but I assume I should use this one instead of starting a new one.

Rocky has still had the same limp this whole time, never a time without, so I decided to go to another vet for a second opinion. This is a really good vet and he determined from the last x-rays I've gotten that it is Pano.
Since the limp has always been there, I'm ready to try a different food. Right now I'm feeding Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy. I would get Orijen or Wellness Large breed, but those bags are kinda out of my price range. I also wouldn't mind getting a type of food for adults.

However, I was wondering what you guys would suggest...

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
For the health of your pup, I would invest in the Wellness. Are you giving the higher dosage of vitamin C?
Tracking is a great way to work the mind and the body isn't put in major overdrive. I would lay his meals in a track if possible. When my dogs had Pano, I would just let them self limit and use common sense as far as what I did with them for exercise. I hope Rocky's bout gets over quickly, I think getting him off the BB will help.
He is handsome!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been giving him glucosamine and 2000mg of vitamin C a day. It helps, but he has ALWAYS had the limp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts