German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New member here. Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's the story:

We have a 5.5 year old male GSD. He is successfully being treated for perianal fistulas. Other than that, he is healthy, active, and not overweight.

Approximately 7-10 days ago, we were playing outside and I noticed him holding his right rear leg in the air, not putting ANY weight on it. Although I didn't see/hear anything, I figured he sprained/strained it, so we stopped playing immediately. He hobbled inside, and I checked for any obvious issues, cuts to his paws, etc. Didn't find anything.

Strangely, after I checked him out, he started putting weight on his leg again, and walked normally. Of course, we stopped playing for a few days to let him heal.

A few days after that, we had a vet appointment for a checkup on his perianal fistulas (which went very well!). I told the vet about the episode with his leg. The vet (who I trust a lot) checked his leg and didn't find anything. Said it was probably just a sprain/strain and to let him heal.

Fast forward to a few days ago, we were putting our dogs in the car to take them to my in-laws for dinner. Our GSD decided to jump into the car (rare for him) and immediately started yelping in pain and holding his leg in the air. I lifted him out of the car and calmed him down. We didn't want to leave him, so after a few minutes, I lifted him into the car (he laid down) and we went to dinner as planned. Although we didn't play, he seemed fine at my in-laws - walking normally, doing small stairs, getting up/down easily, etc.

Since then, it seems that anytime he uses his back legs to spring/jump, he will immediately lift his leg (although not yelp or otherwise indicate he's in pain). Then, after a minute or two, he'll walk normally again, though he's somewhat uneasy on the leg. Unfortunately, he's getting skittish around the house, not wanting to do stairs or move through narrow spaces.

Any ideas what this could be? If it doesn't improve in one day more, I'm calling the vet. Seems strange to me that he goes so quickly from leg in the air/in pain to basically normal walking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. New member here. Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's the story:

We have a 5.5 year old male GSD. He is successfully being treated for perianal fistulas. Other than that, he is healthy, active, and not overweight.

Approximately 7-10 days ago, we were playing outside and I noticed him holding his right rear leg in the air, not putting ANY weight on it. Although I didn't see/hear anything, I figured he sprained/strained it, so we stopped playing immediately. He hobbled inside, and I checked for any obvious issues, cuts to his paws, etc. Didn't find anything.

Strangely, after I checked him out, he started putting weight on his leg again, and walked normally. Of course, we stopped playing for a few days to let him heal.

A few days after that, we had a vet appointment for a checkup on his perianal fistulas (which went very well!). I told the vet about the episode with his leg. The vet (who I trust a lot) checked his leg and didn't find anything. Said it was probably just a sprain/strain and to let him heal.

Fast forward to a few days ago, we were putting our dogs in the car to take them to my in-laws for dinner. Our GSD decided to jump into the car (rare for him) and immediately started yelping in pain and holding his leg in the air. I lifted him out of the car and calmed him down. We didn't want to leave him, so after a few minutes, I lifted him into the car (he laid down) and we went to dinner as planned. Although we didn't play, he seemed fine at my in-laws - walking normally, doing small stairs, getting up/down easily, etc.

Since then, it seems that anytime he uses his back legs to spring/jump, he will immediately lift his leg (although not yelp or otherwise indicate he's in pain). Then, after a minute or two, he'll walk normally again, though he's somewhat uneasy on the leg. Unfortunately, he's getting skittish around the house, not wanting to do stairs or move through narrow spaces.

Any ideas what this could be? If it doesn't improve in one day more, I'm calling the vet. Seems strange to me that he goes so quickly from leg in the air/in pain to basically normal walking.

Thanks!
Did you ever find the issue?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts