German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are these circular spots that keep popping up on my 16 week old puppies hind legs and lips. The vet doesn’t seem to know what it is was wondering if anyone has seen this before and has any advice as to what may be the culprit. I will attach pics. The big spot is the first one that popped up and you will see the other spots popping up around it. They have done antibiotic twice one round of steroids.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Looks like it possibly could be ringworm. Get your vet to check it out. It's easy to fix, if it doesn't spread to far.
Be careful: it CAN be transmitted to humans!

It will glow under a black light (ultraviolet).

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
A skin scrape is a pretty common test the vet can do to take a closer look. I believe they could tell if this is a type of mange, another parasite or a fungal infection.

Does the pup pay attention to the spots (chew, lick, itch)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They took a culture to test for ring worm. Said it takes 10 days to come back. He does not scratch at them or pay any mind to them nor do they bother him if you touch them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vet called back today and said that it came back negative for ringworm and that it couldn’t be mange Bc he has been on nexgard since 8 weeks old and the nexgard is the treatment for mange and these spots just started popping up at 15 weeks old. So they have no clue what is causing them.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Hmmm, are you using any sort of carpet powder, change detergents to wash bedding, lawn chemicals, etc? Based on where the spots are, they all come in contact with the ground, especially while laying down, even the chin. Perhaps it's a reaction to a product?

Just brainstorming...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts