German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I noticed a small spot by Jake's eye a few days ago where the his fur is gone. It's right at the inner corner of his eye.....after doing some research I am going to guess it's mange. I have done some reading on here and seems like most of you say it will take care of itself. A have a few questions, firstly what supplements if any other than Vit C will help? And how long does this last? He starts another 8 week class in a few weeks and I am wondering if they will let us participate.

Jake is now 10 months old....
Any help with this is greatly appreciated, I am pretty upset about it....
:confused:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Uschi had demodetic mange- a pretty bad case on her ankle and a spot near her eye. the vet gave her an oral dose of ivermectin for 90 days and it cleared up beautifully. Most cases clear up in their own and adding a vitamin C supplement will usually do it but since hers had gotten so advanced on her leg we went with the oral suspension. Cost about $60 for the 90 day treatment so don't get ripped off!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Personally I would have a skin scraping done to verify that it's mange first of all, and second of all verify that it's demodex (which does generally start around the eye or ear tips).

Ointments, etc are useless and don't get talked into buying liquid ivermectin (should you decide to use it) from the vet. You can get a huge bottle of it in the cattle dept at TSC for about $35.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Demodectic Mange is no big deal. Lucy had it once when she was a puppy around her mouth. A couple months of some creams and she was all fixed up and it never came back.

Go to the vet and have some scraping done and go from there. It's really nothing to worry too much about, assuming it's demodectic mange.

Can you post some pictures? Is it crusty at all?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rafi had demodex twice. If it's localized and happens before a dog is 2 a responsible vet will tell you that it will resolve on its own...without using ivermectin (which is an insecticide).

In Rafi's case he had some pretty bad spots and had not had proper nutrition or care as a pup so I did apply NEEM to the spots and also gave him a bunch of things to boost his immune system. If you search mange on this site you'll find his thread.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
is it similar to this....

Riley was JUST under two years old when that spot showed up. Vet said demodex and prescribed Vitamin C. 4 weeks and the spot was gone. havent had an issue since and he's going on 6.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is....a bit smaller and right near his eye....

How much Vit C? I know it gives them loose stool.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I really don't worry about small spots of demodex on young dogs. It's actually a pretty common thing for puppies (as you can see by how many people on this forum have experienced it). Their immune systems are immature and there is all kinds of stress on their bodies and minds during development.

So I pretty much do nothing for it. If it starts spreading quickly and majorly, a vet visit would be in order. But IMO and IME for small localized spots of it, the treatment is far worse then the condition. The dip used is highly toxic and the dosage of ivermectin is extremely high, many times what is giving on a monthly basis for HW prevention. It's hard for owners to know something is "wrong" with their dog and not do anything, especially since vets often push for quick action in treating it. But 95%+ of all cases will clear up on their own with no treatment at all.

If you want to feel like you are doing something for it, wash the area with soap and water a few times a day and rinse well. Give a high quality Ester C (start with a small dosage and gradually increase it, most dogs can tolerate 1000mg without an issue), a quality wild Alaskan salmon oil supplement and a good digestive supplement such as Nature's Farmacy Dogzymes. Add fresh food to the dog's diet - pureed veggies, all natural yogurt, cooked or raw meat, eggs. It generally takes 1-3 months for it to totally clear up and the hair to grow back, with or without any sort of treatment.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
we were told to gradually work up to 1000mg of vitamin C a day over a week long span. try a mild soap and water wash a couple times a day for a few days first and see how it goes. Riley's spot actually got bigger which is when we went to the vet and the vitamin C was recommended. Our vet was pretty cool and didnt charge us for the visit because it was such a small thing.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody had it on his face as well and it cleared up on its own, I took him to the vet just to make sure it wasn't something else though. We did Vit C as well and washed the spot with some medicated shampoo everyday!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Remy had a tiny bald spot just above his eyelid. I just figured he scratched his face to hard and rubbed off some hair. It cleared up and is growing back.

Wonder if it was a mange....

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The spot is so close to his eye there is no way to wash it..I am going to give him 1000mg a day of Vit C and give it a few weeks. If it gets larger or changes I will bring him in, but for now I am taking everyones advice that it will take care of itself. I don't think at this stage if that is what it is it warrants ingesting medicine for 90days.

Going to wait it out. Isn't he a bit too old for this sort of thing to start NOW?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If his spot continues to get worse can someone please tell me the proper dosage of invermectin(sp) that I would purchase at TSC? I am having a hard time finding a good site.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
aww, poor Jake. hope he gets well quickly and inexpensive!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The spot is so close to his eye there is no way to wash it..I am going to give him 1000mg a day of Vit C and give it a few weeks. If it gets larger or changes I will bring him in, but for now I am taking everyones advice that it will take care of itself. I don't think at this stage if that is what it is it warrants ingesting medicine for 90days.

Going to wait it out. Isn't he a bit too old for this sort of thing to start NOW?
Not at all. He's still an immature dog, with an immature immune system. Like I said in my previous post - start with low doses of ESTER C (Ester is easier on the stomach) and work your way up. Also invest in a quality wild salmon oil. And don't obsess over the spot - it may get a bit bigger before it gets better or he may get another small spot somewhere.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts